Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL....

I am lucky... The wife is the one who started this craziness with a 55 FW tank in early 2002. She likes the look of the 120 so that may be the summer project for the fowlr..
The ballast went on the reef a month ago and she say we need to get a back up in case this happens again.... I was just like you said.. Are you sure??? Ok!! I'll look into getting one

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
LOL- My wife gets a nervous twitch everytime I break out the tape measure and start walking around the tank while poking at things and talking outloud about changing things.

It's true I have to sneak small parts / pieces into the system myself. It's those $100+ parts that 'pre-approval' requires some prior planning. Eyes usually roll when I say we "NEED" this for the tank.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscount
My wife gets a nervous twitch everytime I break out the tape measure and start walking around the tank
LOL! The tape measure ought to do it. I could only imagine your face imagining a project. And I could only imagine your wife starting to have a wrinkle on the forehead over "oh no, what now". See, that's it, it's the tape measure that made me roll on the floor laughing.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I know you all have expressed your opinions/experience/thoughts about cycling a tank with live fish, but as you all know we have (Had) 2 damsels, a Yellow Tail, and a Blue Damsel.

The yellow tail is doing great, and has been since the day we put him in the tank.

However we have now had 2 Blue Damsels, both have died. The first died the day after we put him in the tank, (He never did look good, he was always dark blue/black), The 2nd we got the next day after the 1st died, He looked great, he swam around with the yellow tail, and all seamed good, untill about 4 days ago, when he stopped swimming around, and just hung out in the corner of the tank, only moving a few inches here and there. I didn't really see him eating either, Yesterday, he died.

Are the blue damsels not as "Hardy" as the yellow tail? Is there any reason that the blue damsels would keep dieing, while the yellow tail has no problems? Or is it just a stress/luck type thing? I figure the 1st was probably stressed, and untimently died, the 2nd though showed no signs of stress at all.

At first I thought maybe the tank was beginning to cycle and prehaps the adverse water condition of the cycle may have been the problem, but i tested it again, and as with all my other tests, everything is 0, and the PH is ~8.0, the SG is showing 1.023 on my hydrometer.

So it doesn't even look like the tank is trying to cycle (Which I would think it should be!?!?) However there does apeer to be some algie growing on the silk plant, about 8 brown spots (Nothing looks to be growing on the glass though!?!?) The tank has been running for about 2.5 weeks.

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
How were they acclimated to the environment?
Improper acclimation will kill em dead as a hammer in no time flat..

How long did you have the second blue before he went tango uniform on ya?
Other then that, maybe they were just doomed at the store and you ended up dealing with the deaths, not them.

Kinda hard to say.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They were acclimated as suggested by the LFS. Place the bag into the tank let stand for 15 minutes, add 1 cup of water, wait 15 minutes, at a 2nd cup of water, wait 15 minutes, add a 3rd cup of water, wait 15 minutes, then pour bag & fish into tank.

The 2nd blue damsel was alive for about 12 days. He was just fine, untill the last few days of his life.

A Different LFS, suggested that the blue damsels and the yellow tailed damsels don't get along, and the yellow tailed damsel probably picked on the blue damsel....

The LFS that i bought the tank and the damsels from said they would get along fine together, and the didn't seam to fight at all...

----------------------------

On another note, I did a few things as suggested by all of you, I purchased a powerhead it is a Penguin 660, it flows 170GPH. I only bought one, Should I get 2 of thease or will one be good for a Fish Only tank? I am going to ditch the air pump and air stones. There are 4 tube positions on the UGF, 2 at the outer edges (Where my tibes are now) and 2 next to each other in the middle, If i am using just the 1 powerhead which place should I put the tube?

We are going to go ahead and install the BIO wheel, because we already have it, and some have said it doesn't do too bad of a job, we will be doing our water changes every 1-2 weeks, so as i understand it, that will be set for good water conditions?

-TheChad
Old 01-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

At 2.5 weeks I would hardly say that you're tank is cycled, IMO of course. Some damsels are just plain mean, so it could be fighting. I would go with handling at the fish store as a possible cause. As for your acclimation procedure, sounds good except for the bag pouring. Also, I would never pour water from a lfs tank into my own tank, never. Use a net and place the fish in the water.
If you have ditched the airstones and have 4 tubes and one powerhead, how effecient is that ugf going to be, really? I personally, would still ditch the ugf(while there's still time, and just mount the powerhead on the tank(I am guessing it came with mounting hardware or suction cups). With fish only, 170 should be okay, especially with little fish. The bio-wheel will help with the cycle, but once it's over I would remove the bio-wheel. Even if you leave it in and do water changes eveery1-2 weeks, there will always be a source for trates to build and be released into the tank.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many have suggested to just remove the wheel part of the bio wheel filter, basically making it a carbon& sponge filter, with a 150gph flow.

The UFG has 4 places to put tubes, 2 of them are capped off (In the middle), the UGF currently uses the 2 outer tubes in the corners of the tank.

I talked to a guy at the the LFS (Not an employee, a customer), He said he uses an UGF, and when he does it weekly/byweekly water changes, he uses a syphon vacume and cleans the rocks (Since he has to remove water anyway), he said as long as you use the syphon vacume, and don't neglect doing it, the UGF isn't a problem....!?

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chad, I run a UGF, do weekly water changes, vaccum, feed only a couple of times a week and have heaps of lr ( stacked so that as little as possible is touching the substrate, leaving more room for the UGF to do it's thing) So far I have had no probs, Hope it stays that way.If you are going to go this way stay on top of things, test regularly and don't overstock. Definately get more lr.
Good luck
Old 01-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

SInce it looks as if you are going to stay with ugf, then I would personally mount one powerhead on each tube, but at least on two of them. Which two? Either the 2 outer or two inner tubes. Since you can point the powerhead outlet pretty much in any direction I would say the outer two, maximizing the potential water flow under the filter plate.

Tags
29 gallon, setup, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com