Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 30G long tank.

I will shortly be starting a 30G long Saltwater tank. (if I dont do planted) Trying to get a rough cost idea. I have heard anything from 200 to 1000. I relize I need a skimmer, and I will be buying a HO 36" hood. Probibly 96Watt.

Now.. I was told I could start a tank with ONLY live sand and a VERY good filter. This would take a month to cycle before I add fish and the load would be light.

2nd, I could add a very little bit of live rock and some lava rock style for a base. (its not lava rock, its white I wish I could recall the name) Tank would cycle faster, fish load would be very lite. However the base rock would become live rock over time allowing a cheaper solution.

Any input?

madwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
the live rock is a better method imo, but if ur doing a fish only tank with a light load, a good filter will be fine.

BBReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I spent a little over $800 on my 36 gal w/o a skimmer. The tank and the stand were around $300 of that. that's with no fish, and 1lb/gal live rock, and no light. So i'd say w/ skimmer and light probably around $1000.
Hookemhorns_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
two big cost factors are live sand and live rock. With live rock costing as little as $3/lb online or as much as $10/lb locally you can see where that can rack up costs fairly quick. If you get all live sand that aswell can get costly or you could suplment live sand on top of dead/dry sand.

Other cost factors are circulation pumps, the lights, continual salt cost, and electrical costs.

As a general rule fish only systems are cheaper than reef systems because you can get by with less light and you have less money invested in tank inhabatants.

For a 30 gal tank If you had to purchase everything new I can see it easily costing $600+. Now if you already have the tank and the stand then part of that money has already been invested into the system.

Also also depends on your area. You might be able to buy some components of your tank for less than if you lived in other areas.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

30 gallon, long, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com