Starting a 5000 gal aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

propellermonkey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We live in FL and have a small inground pool we want to transform into a massive aquarium and stock with what we catch. Already have a 45gal marine tank but what issues will we run into on such a grand scale. We plan on fabricating a large enough charcoal filter unit. we don't know where to buy salt in an affordable bulk quantity. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. NO this is not a joke.

I am not sure where you would buy enough salt for 5K galons. I would say your best bet would be to buy one of those trucks that has a vacume built into it then go down to the water and suck some up yourself. I dont even know a 5K aquarium!!!!!!!!!!

What are you planning to do about the salinity when it rains?

What are you planning for an auto topoff? I imagine the evaporation would be massive.

What are you planning for temperature control?

How do you plan to control unwanted bacteria entering in from the surroundings, yet grow beneficially bacteria to maintain life? That's a lot of live rock.

Are you planning on a protein skimmer (of epic proportions), or will you be satisfied with an inevitable film on the surface?

How do you plan to circulate the water throughout the "tank"?

Just some questions if you are indeed seriously considering this.

If you don't plan on diving it, I can't imagine why you would do such a thing. Other than diving it you'll probably never really see much life. Bearfan (nice avatar, Bearfan) asked some pretty poignant questions.

Yes, a pond! My pond is under 2000 gallons, and I wish I'd gone bigger.... Go koi !! And frogs!! Most relaxing way to spend an afternoon...a book by my pond with hand-fed fish under the waterfall!

Diane

Yep :)

You dont even need to add frogs, they will come on their own :D

Forget about salt water, you'd be crazy and about $40K poorer when you are done. Freshwater is the way to go if you want to something like this......not sure if you know what you're getting into. (To do it properly anyways).

Right, all my frogs have come in on their own. They come and go regularly!

A pond would be a much more natural and EASY solution than trying to put a fake ocean in the back yard. I can't imagine trying to keep the salinity (or anything else, for that matter) in check with every rainstorm or heatwave!!

D

A pond is SOOOO Much easier and cheaper. Go with a pond.....

It seems this thread has somewhat side tracked
Don't worry mate i'm rootin for ya !!
I too will be creating a salty/brackish pond for my Barras.
I think Bearfan pretty much listed all problems..
only problem i'll be having is that it'll be fresh 3/4 of the year, and i'll need to flood one with the others salt water for the other 1/4 to entice breeding.

Well it can be done im sure.....BUT you will need ALOT OF MONEY! 8O If your pocketbook can handle it...and you have that kind of $$ to throw around then i would do it. I know if i was rich i would do it too! First you would have to enclose the pool, with alot of skylights in the ceiling and ventilation to remove moisture.
Forget about salt water, you'd be crazy and about $40K poorer when you are done.

This guy is joking you would be ALOT poorer than that... :lol:

You will have to buy the largest external pumps you could buy and make a closed loop system for circulation. With that large of a system, you wont need a charcoal unit but you will need ALOT of LR.
We live in FL and have a small inground pool we want to transform into a massive aquarium and stock with what we catch.

Do you have a permit for "catching" items outta the ocean? I do believe you would need a permit, being illegal in FL i believe. If you need help setting it up i would consult a marine expert or biologist for the setup, to make sure its a natural habitat as much as you can make it. How are you going to view the "tank"?

$40 k.. haha wouldnt even be close to the $$ you'd spend on your filtration systems alone.. i'd think a good $200k.. but then again what do i know.. i only have a 4 footer and a 3 footer.. havent even hit the 10K mark..!

If I take my tank and divid the cost by gallons that puts you at 132,000 for the setup not counting operating cost. Buy a Ferrari.
PS. I have passed the $10K mark

Well, if it does work out, I will come dive it for you. ;)

I would love to see a 5K in ground SW tank. I just got back from Vegas and saw a 20,000 gallon tank behind the service desk at the Mirage. Let me tell you..I was inspired! My wife had to drag me away from it.

If you do decide to do it, keep up with the costs and update photographs in case others want to do it as well. Good luck to you!

Mike

24' diameter pool ($2500)
You could possibly use the pump from the pool as ciruculation or get two running for nice cross current. ($250 each)
Use the sand filter as a refugium with lr instead of sand ($260 not including lr)
Cut out a section of the surrounding walls and replace with thick acrylic panels. ($????)
If you could get the water from the ocean that would be great, save lots of $$.
You could build the top of it like a small flat roof (1/4" /ft. slope) with skylights 8-10 skylights. ($????)
Not as unrealistic as people thick just cost a lot of money. I would say about 20k for just the setup not including lr. probably looking at about 20000 gallons of water so about 50000 lbs of rock. If you are truely serious about it, do contact a place like sea world or something similar that would be able to point you in the right direction to success. If you do this make sure we get pics and plane tickets to come view this amazing feat!!!! Good luck!!!!

I think lr.com gets like 5,000 lb live rock each trip I think :)

You would keep them busy :)

Back
Top Bottom