Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
JMO I would only use sand since it’s much easier to maintain. I even used aragonite sand in my brackish cichlid tank. cc gets clogged with tons of gunk and can be hard to keep clean. It’s possible that your HD might have it cheap (Southdown brand) but usually you don’t find it till summer. I wouldn’t waste money on any bagged brand that claims it’s “live sand” since most of the life will have died before reaching your tank. Get something with a relatively small grain and in the color you want.

Base rock is just like lr except there is no life on it. It’s usually white and very boring but if “seeded” with some lr will turn live with time. Both are very porous and both provide bio-filtration. lr (depending on the quality) will have either tons or very little life on it. Some lr has corals and even small fish/inverts and most all lr will have some “good” algae and some bacteria already established which gives it that rich color. Some examples below.

BASE ROCK

LIVE ROCK

Old 01-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
The Sand you speak of at Home Depot, I assume thats the "Clean" "Play" sand?

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Southdown/Old Castle to be more accurate. See this thread for more info. Personally I just used CaribSea brand since the tropical play sand wasn’t available in my area.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was reading about a Deep Sand Bed from About.com, and the information said for a DSB you should have a Skimmer (No Problem), and a Plenum, which they describe as basically and UGF with out the riser tubes installed. But everyone said UGF's are bad.

Here's the page I was reading:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/liv...904jalbert.htm

How do you guys set up a DSB?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

A plenum is more old school. I like the following articles that go into what comprises a DSB.

wetwebmedia.com
advancedaquarist.com

Basically a sand bed of 3”-4” will give you a lot of the same results without as much risk. If you have sand stirring fish/inverts then it’s even more ideal.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Coo, 55G sounds good. I'd be cautious about Copper Banded Butterflies. They're pretty difficult to maintain and feed.

Base Rocks would normally be a bit more solid rocks but there are porouse base rocks out there as well.

I regret buying life sand or having 2.5 inches of sand in my tank now. I wish I would've had bear bottom, tons of live rocks, and a few cups of sand to cover the remaining bottom. Other than that, it's just a nuisance for me.

Get a skimmer anyways. You can never go wrong with that.

Also, no to UGFs and UGJs, that's right.

Sand is sand so don't buy the Aragalive stuff. Waste of money. With that said, I have aragonite and they're awesome. They don't cause sand storm at all. The stay down.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:38 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AMANIQU77: I already have the Copper Banded Butterfly, I know i have read alot that states what you said about being hard to feed.

The one is different. He is a GREAT fish, The LFS said they have had some in the past that were difficult but this one has been great since the day the got him, from the second I got him home, I have shared the same ease with this fish. He eats with out any problems, he is just a great fish..

Unfortunitly right now he has some sort of parasite (White spots), He is in a QT Tank right now with CopperSafe, I just hope to God he survives, He truly is a unique fish and I am sure I would be hard struck to find a replacement.

RE: Live Rocks

What I don't get is everyone is all for stuffing the tank with LR, which i understand the filtration LR serves, But it takes alot of room in a tank, and seems to cut the tank almost in 1/2 as far as volume is concerned.

-TheChad
Old 01-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
What I don't get is everyone is all for stuffing the tank with LR, which i understand the filtration LR serves, But it takes alot of room in a tank, and seems to cut the tank almost in 1/2 as far as volume is concerned.
It’s really not that “stuffed” if you follow the 1-1.5 lbs per gal rule. I have 90 lbs in my 55 and it does look kind of look like a rock tank coming in at 1.6 lbs per gal but if you only put in 55 lbs in a 55 it looks very natural and even kind of sparse with how much room the fish have swim in. I only have 1 large fish (tang) and 3 small fish which is all I’m going to put in there and they have plenty of room to swim around in.

You could certainly do a FO setup with a HOB filter or wet/dry but then your tank would look very empty if you stock it properly.

I feel main reason so many people use lr is because it is the best bio-filtration compared to other ways of doing it and because we like to duplicate the natural environment to some degree giving semi-aggressive species a place to stake out as their own and feel some security.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
1-1.5 lbs of base/lr per gal. Just about any aragonite sand will do and you will need around 130 lbs for a 3"-4" sand bed.

A skimmer isn’t necessary for a fowlr but it’s a good idea to keep your water clean and remove DOC. Below are some good brands for a 55 gal.
Bak Pak Skimmer
Coralife super skimmer
AquaC Remora Pro

Fish list looks good. I would wait a couple of months on the Scooter Blenny until your tank matures though.

I looked for the skimmers you suggested at petsmart but it doesn't look like they carry any of those.

We have to get it from pets mart because we know someone who is getting us everything at cost.

Out of the one's Petsmart carries, which do you suggest? PetsMart.com

Looks like they have: SeaClear, Berlin, Aquarium Systems, and Red Sea Prizm.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Forget petsmart. At least look on marinedepot.com for comparison pricing. All the skimmers that you mention are not recommended highly.

DSB and plenum are not recommended. I agree that 2-4" is plenty. be sure to get aragonite sand.

If you don't like the look of that much LR in the tank, build a sump and put a lot of LR rubble in there. That will give you the right amount without filling the tank.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com