Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The money you “save” by buying at cost from Petco will end up costing you more later because you didn’t invest in a decent skimmer in the first place. If you can’t get a good skimmer now worry about it later and focus on buying the right equipment the first time.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Don't get me wrong, I like LR. All the displays I've seen at the LFS's all take about 1/2 the tank with LR, just seams like you are cutting your available tank space, and I would think that would result in now being able to have as many fish.

3-4" is considered a DSB from everything I've read.

I will take a look at that websight.

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

TheChad,
Aragonite sand is the way to go. It will not trap organics and other bad stuff like cc can do.

Base rock and live rock are the same rock. The difference is the live rock has been "cured" in a tank and have living bacteria and organisms on it.

Good Luck,
Brian
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
fish like to have places to hide. Reef fish naturally live around rock and corals.

but still, as long as your parameters are under control it's up to you

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's why they say that if, for example, you have a 55G, you cannot get fish that grow bigger than 5 - 6" let's say. I mean, Imagine if your fish is 9" long. A standard 55G 4footer would be somewhere in the 18" from front to back. From left to right is too small enough, imagine if the fish turns around. He only has a few inches to spare between him and the front AND back of the tank.

So if you have a 55G, put some live rocks in there to simulate the wild, then get fish that is usually around 5" full grown. Even if LR takes space, it will not significantly affect the fish's health that those rocks are there. As a matter of fact, they'd probably enjoy the landscape, the graze land, and the hiding places.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Guys,

What size Heater will I need for a 55g tank? Our room temp is about 66-70 degrees year around. We will keep the temp of the tank between 78-82 degrees.

I am thinking 250watt, but before I buy it, I wanted to get input.

Also with out going all out gold plated $500 heater, what is a good brand heater?

Right now in our 29gal we have a Penn Plax 150 watt heater. It heats the tank, havent had a problem with it...

P.S. Does it matter where the heater is placed? Right now I have the Heater on the back wall, in the center of the tank, I figured if it was in the center it would heat the water equally, but I often see heaters to the left or right side along the back wall.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 02-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Guys,

What size Heater will I need for a 55g tank? Our room temp is about 66-70 degrees year around. We will keep the temp of the tank between 78-82 degrees.

I am thinking 250watt, but before I buy it, I wanted to get input.

Also with out going all out gold plated $500 heater, what is a good brand heater?

Right now in our 29gal we have a Penn Plax 150 watt heater. It heats the tank, havent had a problem with it...

P.S. Does it matter where the heater is placed? Right now I have the Heater on the back wall, in the center of the tank, I figured if it was in the center it would heat the water equally, but I often see heaters to the left or right side along the back wall.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
what is a good brand heater?
I like the Won Bros Pro-Heat Titanium heaters. You don’t have to worry about it breaking like glass. 250w is fine for a 55 gal.

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com