starting a 90g FOWLER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 90g that I would like to FOWLER with.
I have an external power and UGF from when it was a FW tank.
Will that be adequate filtration to get it started? Should I plan on fish only to start with?
thanks for your time

IMO a UGF will not be a good idea. LR and a skimmer with weekly PWC`s would be a better choice. LR for biological filtration and a skimmer to get rid of Dissolved organic compounds.

LR and a skimmer with weekly PWC`s would be a better choice.
Teriffic!! Thats kinda what I was hoping for. Couple more ?s
1. 2lbs of rock per gal. still the recommendation?
2. Skimmer? Referring to a protein skimmer?
3. I have a 40g FW tank. Could bacteria or anything be useful from that tank to help cycle the SW tank?

1. Different LR weighs different weight. I would suggest 1.5 lbs per gallon. If its heavier maybe even 1 lb per gallon.

2.yes

3. No, Different type of bacteria.

I would say just get as much rock as you would like? it may look to full with that much rock or you might not be full enough.
A skimmer is a must IMO do a search for the best one for you
What part of MN you from?

I currently have a seaclone vortex skimmer running; I guess I'll start with "some" rock and add more as I had more fish.
I'm from Fergus Falls, bring on the tourist season!!! lol

There is some stuff call eco rox it is a dead rock but looks like figi rock it is a heck of a lot cheaper than live rock and after it gets seeded in you can not tell the differance. I would maybe go that route? it is like 2.99 lbs vs 7.99-9.99 lbs for live rock.

There is also a skimmer called a turboflottor 1000 I had one on my 125 and it worked good till I got more stuff that would be a good one for a 90

Yes LR would be the way to go but you would not have to buy all LR I would buy a few pieces and them get some of that eco-rox and over time it will become live.

I like to use 75% base rock to about 25% LR.

Back
Top Bottom