Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starting a FOWLR... what do i need?

So i want to start a 20 gallon fowlr (and get some corals when i can afford it) please tell me if my list is okay. after a month or two of cycling I would only have a pair of clowns and some shrimp/snails/crabs too. eventually i will try to get the clowns to host an anemone

Need:
Coralife 2x65w pc light
can i get away with a HOB filter?
25-30 lbs ls
20 lbs lr
salt mix
heater
powerhead
is a protein skimmer or fuge necessary?
heater+bucket for water changes

have i forgotten anything?

thanks guys !

Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
my comp is working rite again lol so we can continue the stuff on here now lol.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

aha. i sent you another PM. just post your response here lol
Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oops lol, i 4 got, go check ur messages again lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

so heres what weve been talking about if anyone wants to learn from this as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127
Quote:
sorry im sending this in a pm, but it wouldnt let me reply for some reason. so let me recall on your post rite here...

So i want to start a 20 gallon fowlr (and get some corals when i can afford it) please tell me if my list is okay. after a month or two of cycling I would only have a pair of clowns and some shrimp/snails/crabs too. eventually i will try to get the clowns to host an anemone

Need:
Coralife 2x65w pc light
can i get away with a HOB filter?
25-30 lbs ls
20 lbs lr
salt mix
heater
powerhead
is a protein skimmer or fuge necessary?
heater+bucket for water changes

have i forgotten anything?

thanks guys !

ok so here we go...

the light should do ok for corals (most types i believe) but not sps or clams, but those are much harder to care for anyways.
you could do a HOB filter but make sure its a decent one.
skip the live sand, and go with some type of dry sand, all sand becomes live eventually and buying live sand will just be a waste of money.
get a little more lr, or even better, to save extra cash go with 1/2 base rock and 1/2 live rock in the tank. aim for 25-30 pounds toal rock.
what type of salt are you planning on using, just curious?
heater, ok
shoot for 2 power heads, more flow is always better and it will save you from some algae problems later.
protine skimmers and fuge's arent nessecary.
heater and bucket, ok. make sure that you also get a powerhead to mix salt as well.
missing things include a hydrometeror even better refractometer. a thermometer for the tank and salt mixing. a magnet cleaner for the glass (not nessecary but it helps a lot) and i think that thats about it. ill reply again if i think of anything.
haha i knew i forgot the hydrometer and algae scraper

i would probably use instant ocean salt.

i was gona ask if i could just get dry sand+half lr to seed it but you read my mind! will any type of dry sand from the lfs do? or is one better than the other? does the lr need any type of food or light to seed all the way down to the sand while im cycling?

thanks for the quick reply!!
haha, i actually used to be into magic big time, makes me laugh lol. and when i said 1/2 live rock and 1/2 base rock, that means that 1/2 is the traditional live form and 1/2 doesnt actually have the live element yet but the lr will seed the base rock so it will become live later. uhh, caribsea dry argonite is good but u gotta rinse it a lot before you put it in the tank, others will help you with the rinsing ingo cuz i haven't a clue as how exactly to do it, i just dumped mine in (bad mistake). the live rock doesnt really need food or light but i kept my lights on anyways to promote early algae growth so its not a bad idea. to kick start the cycle throw in a raw cocktail shrimp fron the grocery store until you get an ammonia reading. oh which reminds me, a test kit, u need that big time.
no prob on the responce, i always get greedy and want quick replies to my stuff so i try to return the favor as often as possible lol!
haha. ive got a test kit cause im into planted tanks pretty big. i have a DIY light fixture right now but what ususally comes first to salt tanks, fish or frags? and im assuming frags need the extra light? (the coralife light i plan to order)

so could i theoretically have a salt fowlr without the expensive light? not saying that im going to, ill end up getting a light and some frags around xmas time when ive got the cash

thanks again!
fish should always come first (wish i would have known that). yep, fowler lighting is all astetic, actinic lights make SW fish pop. what type of corals are you thinkin? oh and you were a freshie? well, welcome to the dark side lol.
haha yeah im a freshie i still have my planted tank. i just want something to contrast it. im still shopping around for corals right now while i total up everything to whether or not i can afford it. i think i can because i dont have to buy everything at once now! and coupons are always awesome

so when i go to the lfs to buy some rock, should i be looking for a specific type? (fiji, caribbean, etc) or is that aesthetic as well?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh, and heres another big question. can i use my tap water? its florida well water, pH of about 7.4-8 i think right out of the faucet. thats out of the softener, should i use the hard water? and i only use prime to condition my water.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
so heres what weve been talking about if anyone wants to learn from this as well!

haha yeah im a freshie i still have my planted tank. i just want something to contrast it. im still shopping around for corals right now while i total up everything to whether or not i can afford it. i think i can because i dont have to buy everything at once now! and coupons are always awesome

so when i go to the lfs to buy some rock, should i be looking for a specific type? (fiji, caribbean, etc) or is that aesthetic as well?
lr is pretty much aesthetic. do u understand what i meant with the live rock/base rock thing? im confusing sometimes so i just wanna be clear.

Quote:
oh, and heres another big question. can i use my tap water? its florida well water, pH of about 7.4-8 i think right out of the faucet. thats out of the softener, should i use the hard water? and i only use prime to condition my water.
you are going to want to get a ro/di unit cuz of the hard water. or you could always buy filtered/premixed water from your lfs but youll be glad that you speant the money on the ro/di unit, u can get em cheap on ebay ive heard.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoCkEyGmC View Post
lr is pretty much aesthetic. do u understand what i meant with the live rock/base rock thing? im confusing sometimes so i just wanna be clear.
yeah i get that. get like 15lbs of live rock to seed ~ 10 lbs unlive? rock lol. and ill probably go with some aragamax sand. how deep of a bed should i be looking for. 1-2 inches? more?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
yeah i get that. get like 15lbs of live rock to seed ~ 10 lbs unlive? rock lol. and ill probably go with some aragamax sand. how deep of a bed should i be looking for. 1-2 inches? more?
sandbeds are strange, its opinion but yeah, 1-2 inches should be fine. yup, rock stuff sounds good.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com