Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-11-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Starting a LR tank

As most of you know, my experience with salt water involves a mask and flippers. I am an idiot when it comes to SW.

With that in mind, I want to learn more. I have read post after post, but I am a hands on learner. I decided I want to set up a 20 gallon (why 20, because I have it) LR tank with maybe some crabs/shrimp but no fish. Eventually, maybe some coral, but who knows, this is a live classroom for me.

What do I need to set up a tank of this order?

Tank: 20 Gallon
Lights: Probably DIY compact fluorescent in a DIY hood. What kind of watts per gallon and how long do you run the 10Ks and the actinics?
Filtration: I understand LR is the biological, without fish do I need mechanical?
Heat: What temp serves LR best?
DSB: Probably 2" "live"
Powerheads: 2 Maxijets (also have)
Skimmer: Is it necessary? If not, what needs to be done?

You know it was you guys that corrupted an innocent FW guy like me to learn more about SW. I will eventually set up a large tank, but not until we move in a couple years to our "final" house. Our current house is only 3 bedrooms, so when we have our second child (I suppose we should have our first before that) we have to move. A man cannot give up his computer room and be expected to keep sanity.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
With no fish a skimmer is not needed IMO. I think you can do this setup cheap, all you need is LR and sand.

If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
You should check out the website www.nano-reef.com. I just spent all morning looking there. They specialize in tanks athat are 20 gallons or smaller (heck even 1 gallon tanks). They have great articles explaining eveything you need for a setup and what inverts work best and which corals are best. And from what I read a skimmer, even with fish, is no good in a small tank as it tends to strip out more good things than bad things and can lead to you having to do a lot more work.
tkos is offline   Reply With Quote

starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com