Starting a new 10g saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bittenflame

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?

Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?

Welcome to AA!! Congrats on the tank! Now onto your post, what exactly was the pH? Usually adding anything to the tank buffer wise isn't always the best. Since it's cycling no need for the lights? What source of water are you using? Rodi? Tap? Distilled? Light is only 1 factor in algae growth, nutrient export is more important IMO. Again, welcome and let us know if you have any more questions!

Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

You will need to replace your good if you want leds. Also, yes lights off does give a lower ph but it shouldn't be that low. Take a sample of the premade water to be tested and see what it's pH is. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank?

Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Should be fine

I will have to take it in then :)

I just got 2 rapid led screw in bulbs!
They are nice and work well! Mine were 89$ a piece

There is an over the back filter. I was told that would create enough flow

You just running a standard ten gal? I would either run it with no lid or get a glass or acrylic lid so you can upgrade your lighting. I would also pick up a power head (I'm running 2 korilia 240s on my ten with an ac30 hob filter) the filter alone will not give you enough flow for coral

I am running a standard 10 gallon. I am starting with fish only first then moving to soft corals later on. I can definitely pick up a power head if needed. I wish I could have no lid, but unfortunately I have cats that will gladly either eat the fish or knock over the tank, since they are endlessly fascinated with it. I am considering fashioning a plexi-glass top with areas cut out for a light filter, heater, etc.

My 10 had a hood and a koralia 240, along with an aqua clear 30 hob. PH did fine and my corals grew great

I am running a standard 10 gallon. I am starting with fish only first then moving to soft corals later on. I can definitely pick up a power head if needed. I wish I could have no lid, but unfortunately I have cats that will gladly either eat the fish or knock over the tank, since they are endlessly fascinated with it. I am considering fashioning a plexi-glass top with areas cut out for a light filter, heater, etc.

In my experience the plexi glass I used began to get warped and droop down closer to the water, probably from the heat produced by the light. I would go with a glass top if you can.

I will look into the glass ones. The light won't have any trouble going through the glass?

That would be fine. That way I can look into the clip on led lights

Honestly most clip on lights aren't vert good, for relatively cheap lighting for a 10 look into a par38. Reefkoi.com has there new ones out for $60 still I believe. If you want to spend a little more, I have the reefbreeders value fixture over my 10 and I love it

Back
Top Bottom