Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebondaruk View Post
Having some trouble with th gb from brs. It still says retail beside my login name.I received a confirmation email saying that I was added... am I missing something? TIA.

Lemme check with BRS, i will send them an email right now.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Activist

they got back to me,got it all fixed!thank you!! ordered the 5 stage plus for me and 4 stage for a friend. stoked to finally have good water! now the runoff water, what can you do with it? or is it not recommended to use for watering plants or whatever?either way, thanks carey! also started building my stand for the 75. going to use a 55 for sump... is that overkill?TIA guys!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #113
Aquarium Advice Activist

here is a quick pic of my stand. have 3/8 plywood screwed on now just need to nail bead board panel and build the canopy doors and bottom drawer.nothing special. im putting the sump on an exposed shelf because i actually like to see the workings of a tank. i think its possible to make it look good.. hopefully anyways. lmk if there's any major downsides to using this big of a sump (55). thinking about putting a decent refuge in their too.. all ideas for now.. has any body had a stacked system like this before? does it suck? also if anyone is subscribed to any good sump build threads i would be grateful if you could pass them along,TIA!!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Activist

forgot pic...
BTW after this pic was taken, i ended up turning that middle 2X up instead of flat... lmk if someone thinks that that isint enough support!thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Activist

can anyone help ID this algae? i heard that tap water can cause algae outbreaks? glad i ordered the rodi. and second pic is my coral banded guy molted. his skin is all over the FD, should i take it out or let the CUC take care of it.. thanks guys for all the help!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The dark stuff looks like cyanobacteria.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, cyano it is. I've had it in almost all of my tanks at one point or another. Me personally, I used red slime remover to be rid of it. Put it in at night and gone by the next morning. My corals and fish did not have any adverse reactions to it and it you follow the instructions it works really well.

You can also vacuum it out the best you can, up your water change schedule and reduce nutrients going in and that will eventually work as well. Good solution if you don't want to use chemicals.

As far as ro/di waste water, i have mine going to my flower bed out back, perfectly fine for that. You could even run it to your washing machine if you wanted. lol
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
yep, cyano it is. I've had it in almost all of my tanks at one point or another. Me personally, I used red slime remover to be rid of it. Put it in at night and gone by the next morning. My corals and fish did not have any adverse reactions to it and it you follow the instructions it works really well.

You can also vacuum it out the best you can, up your water change schedule and reduce nutrients going in and that will eventually work as well. Good solution if you don't want to use chemicals.

As far as ro/di waste water, i have mine going to my flower bed out back, perfectly fine for that. You could even run it to your washing machine if you wanted. lol
Yeah, the common misconception is that RO "waste" is poor quality water. It is actually better than some municipal sources. Scary as that is.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Activist

most recent pic.. i was at the LFS and they had a rock that they sold as LR but it has something on it, here is a pic. is this a coral? yea i bought it without reading up about it but for 10 bucks my curiosity got the best of me...is this considered coral or just some cool growth on rock.thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome- looks like a nice bunch or mushrooms!

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com