Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey,thanks guys. well as i wrote earlier i purchased the Reef Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer. had a question it says that a pump is included, is that just for air? how does it pull in water? does it have to be plumbed up directly? as you can tell i have 0 experience with skimmers.. thanks guys

Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It has a water intake which is attached to a air line. So it mixes the water and air at the same time:

Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Activist

awesome,thanks. has anyone on here tried the Eheim 1260 pump? is it way too much for a 55? i def would like to upgrade in the future and would like it if the equipment could move up with me. thanks guys! also is is mandatory to put the skimmer in the first camber of the sump or can you put it in the return area. thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebondaruk
awesome,thanks. has anyone on here tried the Eheim 1260 pump? is it way too much for a 55? i def would like to upgrade in the future and would like it if the equipment could move up with me. thanks guys! also is is mandatory to put the skimmer in the first camber of the sump or can you put it in the return area. thanks!
I have not tried an eheim, but I would imagine it has a flow adjustment knob like most quality pumps on the market. My skimmer sits in the middle of 3 chambers. What I would worry about with skimmer being in the return side of the sump is the air bubbles from the skimmer passing into the tank consistently.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200 gallon reef

I have not tried an eheim, but I would imagine it has a flow adjustment knob like most quality pumps on the market. My skimmer sits in the middle of 3 chambers. What I would worry about with skimmer being in the return side of the sump is the air bubbles from the skimmer passing into the tank consistently.
I agree. My skimmer is actually in the first chamber of a 3 chamber sump. Heater and mechanical filtration in the second and return pump in the third.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey guys, im trying to figure out how to make my baffles in the sump and a question i have is that my skimmer output is at 8 inches but i want to have a refugium and obviously want the level a little higher then 8, maybe like 12-13". should i just raise my skimmer 4-5"? or can i extend the output tube on the skimmer? will it affect the skimmer production? for reference its a reef octopus NW 150.TIA guys
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #147
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Extending the output ribe will not effect the productivity of the skimmer unless u reduce the pipe.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks 200G!. anyways my wife will probably murder me... went to dr f&s to order a eheim 1260 pump, ended up with a ticket for $500... purchased an azoo 300W heater, the pump, 4 powerheads (2 for a friend) Koralia 1400 and 1050 for myself, and also a refractometer,(sp). plus overnight shipping... wow is all i can say, stuff adds up fast! i feel for you big tank guys i already have over 1000 invested in a bloody 55G!! cant imagine the startup cost of 180+ gallons, probably like 3-4k. crazy. thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a great start
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey guys, well i got my sump built and installed, started cycling but now im stumped with this skimmer. really aggravating. i cant keep my water level in between the min/max lines. the cup fills up within a minute with water.. the gate valve is opened all the way, i dont know how to keep it low. i tried closing the two holes in the muffler/silencer and that helped a little but now i have billions of micro bubbles in the sump. what am i doing wrong? the instructions that come with the skimmer are not for beginners with skimmers. they dont explain how to adjust properly. sheesh, really stumped.any advice?

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com