starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id probably have something lower at around 75-100w. It also depends how cold your home/room gets with the aquarium in it

In the winter 69-72 summer 75-77. your probably right, ill look for a 100W.

Those are good temps. A 100w should do nicely.

It's just better for gas exchange to have more air hitting the water surface, plus, if you are keeping photosynthetic creatures, glass will cut down light some.

speaking of light, what light should i get? i would like one that's capable of supporting reefs,i heard LED's are the way to go. any input on that?its a 30" tank.thanks!

BTW not going reefs yet, just wanted to have that compatibility just in case.

LEDs are pretty expensive atm, and some brands are questionable. Though they save $ in the long run on electricity costs, it seems there's an upgrade to a company's LED fixture every couple years. If it's something you want to do, then go for it.

I'd take a good look at a decent t5 fixture, as well as metal halides. Personally, I like the color/bulb combination you can do with a multi-bulb t5 fixture.

In the end it's up to you. Just do your research =)

^^ any particular T5 setup you would suggest? also placing order from DRFS for powerheads and test kit, anything else i should get? have- filter, heater.if you guys think of anything please let me know!thanks!

With a 20g tank, no need for a skimmer. Regular PWCs will be fine.

As for lights, What do you want to grow? SPS, LPS, clams...anything, everything? That will determine what kind of lights you will need.

anything really, i would start out with whatever is more hardy. should i purchase any buffers, or chemicals in general?thanks for your help!

For lights, it really depends on what you want to grow. Acros, clams etc will need a lot of light (8 bulbs+ etc). If you're unsure and if you can afford it, i'd say get lights that can support anything you may want (250w metal halides, 8bulb+ T5 fixture, LEDs etc).

As for buffers and chemicals, I'd stay away from them for now. No need to add anything if nothing's wrong. Test your water and make changes as you go etc.

ok,thanks. does anyone know if this is a decent enough refractometer?

just placed an order for 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 425's and also a SW test kit by API. pretty stoked... still looking for a good rock, i'm thinking to buy dry? sounds to risky to buy live? really don't want to introduce diseases and parasites into the tank before i even finish my cycle...let me know if i'm wrong,thanks!

I would buy mostly live, with a few pounds of live rock to help seed and speed up the process. It's cheaper in the end, and you can cure your base rock while your tank cycles. Hopefully there's an LFS near you where you can get some live rock.

Back
Top Bottom