Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyways heres a pic of the rocks.. crappy cell pic and before they got washed..

started cleaning them in the hotel tub since it will be a few days till i get home and was bored anyway, tub after first round of scrubbing with a stiff brush..
and after second round-much better...

now just have to wait till i get home to put them in tank,finish my scape and next weekend i should be ready to start stocking..assuming my parameters are fine.cant wait!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyways put the rock in the tank...i think it might be too much. let me know what you guys think.
also did a quick water test IDK, amonia looks to be at .25 but it doesnt seem quite there.. was thining about getting some crabs and snails.. am i ready? its been like 5 weeks. 2 with the ten # LR. is it even a good idea to get crabs and snails first?TIA guys

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice rock. I don't think it's too much. Want to have plenty of hiding places for your fish. Your cycle could take up to 8 weeks. I wouldn't add anything until your ammonia is 0. If you are questioning your results, have your lfs test for you as a back up.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

alright,thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Activist

well just a little update , after my cycle was finished (or so i think) decided to buy some damsels just to check everything out and a few hermits. they are doing good, looks like i made my rock caves a little to tight because they barely fit! but the dominoe (sp) always cruizes from cave to cave... anyway next big thing is im wondering since eventually im planning to go reef should i build a little ten gallon sump? will it be worth it? what should i do? if i build a sump then there would be no reason to run a reg. filter....am i right or wrong? thanks guys. i have a ton of questions and i try to research as much as possible before hand...TIA!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would still run a hang on back filter for catching particulate matter that can float around the tank.
But a sump would be great if you have the room underneath. I'd aim for a 20g or maybe a 10g id space is tight.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Activist

so whats the #1 purpose of the sump? i thought it was mech/ filtration and also biological... i see what your saying though about the loose stuff floating around.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Activist

put a sump over top of a sump
Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The sump is used to give you more water volume to make the tank more stable.

Your live rock is like 80% of the biological filtration in a sw tank. You can also stick your heater and anything else that you dont wanna see in the tank.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a tank that small I would do a hob filter turned into a fuge. I would rather have a drilled tank with a sump but since yours is already set up you would have to go with a hob overflow box which I find is difficult to keep quiet and make ti work properly at the same time.

You will probably fall for those damsels and keep them they are little tough guys with an attitude to match.

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com