starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha, thanks but its not even close to nice. its a learning process so bear with me.. anyways heres an awesome little update! RODI!!!!!! cant wait. going to FL for vacation next two weeks but when get back i hope to set it all up and finish my stand and start cycling my 75!!
img_1927448_0_6bbbff7a109ec95a694c29f27eeda259.jpg

BTW Carey, thanks so much for helping me pick out a system and also helping me save a few bucks, THANKS!!

hey guys, no major update but i had a question. what are these white dots? theyre not complete circles. almost look like encrustations?(sp) like a fossil or something.they're mostly on my back glass and some rocks. sorry for the crappy pic, taken from my cell phone with a flashlight at night. its definitely not sand.TIA!
img_1944425_0_2e1238d26c877423b76a59f7759b69e1.jpg

I'm pretty sure iv got the same in my tank. My lights on for about 11 hours a day and a guy at my local aqaurium store says it could be from overfeeding and to much light. Anyone think diffrently? I thought I do pretty well on not over feeding but maybe I'm wrong.

hey guys. new question, i was feeding today and i noticed something come out of my rock and grap a piece of mysis shrimp and pull it into his hole. its like a tentacle, maybe a worm? looks hairy and is white with black stripes ever so often. is it ok for my tank? or should i kill it with fire, TIA guys!
img_1998379_0_ec720ad59ea08bc3fafac29be557695f.jpg

BTW i am a Photoshop professional as you can see.*

*-denotes sarcasm...

Could it be a mini serpent star? They will usually have their legs hanging out of rock to catch wayward food. :)

I like to keep the life I find in the rock, other than aipastia I don't kill much.

kind of a little update, found a deal on a 55 drilled and stand so i had to pick it up. now i need a little help hooking up the overflow. there are two holes, one is 1 11/16" and the other is 1 7/16". does anyone have a pic for reference on how i should hook it up. the bottom is drilled if that helps at all. the next question is advice on the sump. really want a refugium, place for a skimmer. what else should i leave room for? i purchased a 29 G. too big?too small? thanks so much guys!

Last edited:
looking online i cant find any bulkheads exactly those sizes, should i round off? 1 3/8" and 1 5/8"? hmm not to sure.. i honestly don't even know how to set it up.. which hole is for the return? the smaller one? or doesn't really matter? our local home depot sells plastic nuts and bulkheads , has anyone ever tried theirs? TIA!

hey guys, trying to finish up my sump build and need to order return pump and skimmer ASAP, any advice on which ones? what pumps do you guys prefer? i would like it to be as quiet as possible, any decent reliable ones? any advice would be great!thanks guys!

Reef Octopus NWB-150, anyone with experience with them? Reef Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer | eBay,

also since this is my first sump w/ skimmer build i had a question about plumbing it up, it says that it has a pump included but also says it needs to be fed via pump or directly plumbed from overflow? is this correct?

after some more research i ended up ordering it.. hopefully can start cycling this weekend.

I have a super reef octopus 3000 on my 200 gallon. Love it, just one querk . . . The skimmer is extremely sensitive to water level in the sump.

I run an ASM skimmer on my 90 gallon reef. Was set up in May and hasn't been adjusted since. It's truly a "set it and forget it" piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom