Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Activist

just thought i would post a pic and update a little. unfortunately my domino didn't make it and died on the third night, by morning the crabs (i think) where about 40% done with him, i mean his body looked trashed pretty bad. is this even possible? do craps pounce on dead carcasses? anyways cant really do much because i am working in Tennessee till next weekend but i am having thoughts about getting a bigger tank....(i can picture my wife's look when i bring this topic up) it feels like 20L is an awkward size, to long to design a "nano" reef look and to small to make look like a display tank...what do you guys think? thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far!thanks and GL

(BTW i feel like my scape is to freshwater looking...any suggestions? thanks again!)

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it looks good. You could try stacking it higher. I use the ugly rock for the back and underneath and small pieces I save for frags.

An upgrade is good too, what size were you thinking? If you have 4 feet in length available you can get a 55g, 75g or even a 90g. They all are 4 feet long and the width and depth will change on each tank as you go bigger.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think it's the rock that makes it look like a fresh water tank. Very dense looking and lacking character. Especially that big piece in the foreground.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok so i am the perfect guy for you sir. i have a 20 tall FOWLR that i have had sucessfully running for about 3 months with not 1 problem...this is also my first saltwater attempt. so here is my list of everything. i started with a reg 20 tall with hood. cut the back of the hood to fit an emperor 400 (2 bio wheels is always better then 1 lol ) a jager 50 watt glass heater and a powerhead used for a 55 gall. I have 40 lbs live argonite sand. and cycled for 1 week. found a great deal on CL for live rock. went to pick it up ( guy lost 4k in corals so was done...lucky for me) and got 45 lbs live and cycled figi rock + he gave me a sand sifting satr a really big snail 2 crabs and 2 false percs. i didnt know if it would work but i basically just threw it all in together( after drip acclimating the fish and inverts of course) and bam do my water changes and check everything as normal and i have a beautiful setup. for a FOWLR tank you dont absolutly need a skimmer as the bioload wont be terrible as long as you dont overstock. i aslo recently got a bicolor blenny he is awesome...hope that helps feel free to pm me with any questions... and i am also looking to upgrade to a 55 shortly cause they are so beautiful to watch
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i just found a deal i couldn't pass up . so now i have two 55G tanks to work with. thinking about throwing everything over to one of them. whats the best way to do that? should i set up the 55 let it cycle then throw everything from the 20? or just throw everything over right away?anyways not 100% on it yet. i just picked the tanks up bc they where a great deal.thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

just a quick pic
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebondaruk
just a quick pic
I'm jealous. LOL
Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Drill them before you fill them with water!
I would cycle the bigger tank with more rock, then transfer everything over after.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Drill them before you fill them with water!
I would cycle the bigger tank with more rock, then transfer everything over after.
Agree you'll be thankful you drilled it

Tags
starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com