starting a new SW tank, new to the hobby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey,thanks guys. well as i wrote earlier i purchased the Reef Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer. had a question it says that a pump is included, is that just for air? how does it pull in water? does it have to be plumbed up directly? as you can tell i have 0 experience with skimmers.. thanks guys

It has a water intake which is attached to a air line. So it mixes the water and air at the same time:

awesome,thanks. has anyone on here tried the Eheim 1260 pump? is it way too much for a 55? i def would like to upgrade in the future and would like it if the equipment could move up with me. thanks guys! also is is mandatory to put the skimmer in the first camber of the sump or can you put it in the return area. thanks!

ebondaruk said:
awesome,thanks. has anyone on here tried the Eheim 1260 pump? is it way too much for a 55? i def would like to upgrade in the future and would like it if the equipment could move up with me. thanks guys! also is is mandatory to put the skimmer in the first camber of the sump or can you put it in the return area. thanks!

I have not tried an eheim, but I would imagine it has a flow adjustment knob like most quality pumps on the market. My skimmer sits in the middle of 3 chambers. What I would worry about with skimmer being in the return side of the sump is the air bubbles from the skimmer passing into the tank consistently.

200 gallon reef said:
I have not tried an eheim, but I would imagine it has a flow adjustment knob like most quality pumps on the market. My skimmer sits in the middle of 3 chambers. What I would worry about with skimmer being in the return side of the sump is the air bubbles from the skimmer passing into the tank consistently.

I agree. My skimmer is actually in the first chamber of a 3 chamber sump. Heater and mechanical filtration in the second and return pump in the third.

hey guys, im trying to figure out how to make my baffles in the sump and a question i have is that my skimmer output is at 8 inches but i want to have a refugium and obviously want the level a little higher then 8, maybe like 12-13". should i just raise my skimmer 4-5"? or can i extend the output tube on the skimmer? will it affect the skimmer production? for reference its a reef octopus NW 150.TIA guys

Extending the output ribe will not effect the productivity of the skimmer unless u reduce the pipe.

thanks 200G!. anyways my wife will probably murder me... went to dr f&s to order a eheim 1260 pump, ended up with a ticket for $500... purchased an azoo 300W heater, the pump, 4 powerheads (2 for a friend) Koralia 1400 and 1050 for myself, and also a refractometer,(sp). plus overnight shipping... wow is all i can say, stuff adds up fast! i feel for you big tank guys i already have over 1000 invested in a bloody 55G!! cant imagine the startup cost of 180+ gallons, probably like 3-4k. crazy. thanks for all the help guys!

hey guys, well i got my sump built and installed, started cycling but now im stumped with this skimmer. really aggravating. i cant keep my water level in between the min/max lines. the cup fills up within a minute with water.. the gate valve is opened all the way, i dont know how to keep it low. i tried closing the two holes in the muffler/silencer and that helped a little but now i have billions of micro bubbles in the sump. what am i doing wrong? the instructions that come with the skimmer are not for beginners with skimmers. they dont explain how to adjust properly. sheesh, really stumped.any advice?

ebondaruk said:
hey guys, well i got my sump built and installed, started cycling but now im stumped with this skimmer. really aggravating. i cant keep my water level in between the min/max lines. the cup fills up within a minute with water.. the gate valve is opened all the way, i dont know how to keep it low. i tried closing the two holes in the muffler/silencer and that helped a little but now i have billions of micro bubbles in the sump. what am i doing wrong? the instructions that come with the skimmer are not for beginners with skimmers. they dont explain how to adjust properly. sheesh, really stumped.any advice?

If cup is filling up fast reduce water intake and open air intake microbubbles are part of the "break in' period most if not all skimmers will do this for couple weeks when new

hey guys, long time no update...so i got the 55 fully running, transferred all my fish. bought a few more pieces of coral, but my Photobucket is not letting me load up any new pictures. in the mean time i have a question, i bought this coral a few months ago from my LFS labeled as "sun coral" but i don't think that's accurate. found an old pic. any ideas? i figure its just really bleached but i have no clue.. eats and opens up regularly.TIA guys!
img_2217809_0_64528a905525e82ba0d54751b66a187a.jpg

oh and as soon as i fix my photbucket ill post a legit update! its the coral behind the SS star.thanks!

Proof that I spend far too much time drooling in the Diver's Den of Liveaquaria...

just logged back online to see my old thread..man its awesome seeing where i came from..i now have a 190 DSA SPS (beginning stages mind you) with a 110 rubber sump. love this hobby and advice to new people starting out, WHEN (not "if") you have a catastrophe, keep on trucking....it will be worth it all.. GL everyone and happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom