Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting a new tank

Ok so I am in the process of starting a new 10 gallon tank that will have only two clownfish in it and cleanup crew and eventually an anemone I will use water out of my larger tank for water changes so it should start out as a already established tank so here is my question I set this tank up two weeks ago with an ac70 and a heater and cheap light for now until my t5 fixture gets here what I'm wondering is will it hurt for it to set like this till I get sand to put in it and live rock

Jspires688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
It shouldnt hurt. How long are u planning on waiting until i get the sand and live rock??

Jabibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
you still need to cycle the water has next to nill in the nitryfing bacteria the filter media and substrate is where it is before buying your clowns please cycle your tank
Almost as addicting as the hobby itself
Thanks for joining AA, Welcome to the Fold. Buy the way Your doomed.
xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
You really need to cycle the tank fist. As said above the water will do absolutely nothing for your cycle.

I would also warn against putting 2 clownfish in a 10g, and especially an anenome. They require tanks that have been set up for awhile and have pristine water. Also it will require intense light, your t5 depending on which ones you got might not be able to sustain one.

Letting your tank run now should be fine, just don't put any fishin until your cycle completes.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to the SW getting started forum.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com