Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starting a new tank

So i am saving up for a new salt water tank, i have a lot of experience with my fish but need to take it to the next level. I am thinking of something simple and VERY cheap, also tank and product wise should be long - lasting, so i am thinking of getting a 30-40L but theyre very expensive! upstairs i got a 15 L rectangle and can be cold or tropical water tank. And just keeping it simple with maybe one or two starfish or a pair of common clownfish, and live rock or possibly live coral? do i need a lot of costy things? will this be easy? and starfish like maybe the little red ones but what are the cheapest and easy ones,

Many Thanks

Sam.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this your first saltwater tank? Check out the articles on here on how to set up and maintain a saltwater tank - the first thing you will find is that is is not cheap! To set up and to run. There are cheaper ways to do things of course but be prepared to outlay the dollars especially if you want corals. My 55g initially cost around $1600 to start (mainly for the live rock and lighting) not including the tank itself. It's totally worth it tho!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i thought if i want a nano tank with two clownfish and all filters an everything, it wont be that much certainly not! the tank will be 16L maybe? and comes with great lighting,
Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, I was thinking the 30-40 you mentioned earlier. I also just set up a 10g and without the tank I spent around $40 on a powerhead, $90 on lights, $20 on a heater, I already had sand leftover from my other tank, and rock was about $100. I buy my saltwater and ro-di water from my LFS and I already have test kits and a refractometer. Hope that helps!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

16litres or long? What kind of lighting do you know?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmackley View Post
i thought if i want a nano tank with two clownfish and all filters an everything, it wont be that much certainly not!
I did a 10 gallon saltwater nano and it cost me $250 + to get it all together and that's not including the new light fixture I plan on getting in the future.

You'd need
Tank $15
Filter $25
Heater $25
Light fixture $45
Power head $35
Live rock or base rock $90
Sand (preferably live but not a must) $20

Those are rough estimates of what everything costed for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Ah, I was thinking the 30-40 you mentioned earlier. I also just set up a 10g and without the tank I spent around $40 on a powerhead, $90 on lights, $20 on a heater, I already had sand leftover from my other tank, and rock was about $100. I buy my saltwater and ro-di water from my LFS and I already have test kits and a refractometer. Hope that helps!
yes but i realised they were more expensive than cold&tropical water :/ yeah i have sand, can you buy saltwater from LFS?:0 but my nearest one is 30 miles away.:p and from the seller about the lights he put:

The telescopic arm LED Lighting System clips onto the back of the tank and can be angled in a variety of different ways thanks to its flexible arm. The dual model LED lighting is perfect for Small Fish Tanks and offers the option of daylight or blue moonlight modes, with extra bright compact LED's creating stunning ripple effects in the water. L.E.D lighting is more efficient and economical than traditional lighting, making it cheaper to run. L.E.D Bulbs generally have a much longer lifespan too.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
16litres or long? What kind of lighting do you know?
no 16 litres volume, i work in litres not gallons it is around 8 gallons - 9 gallons
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior13 View Post

I did a 10 gallon saltwater nano and it cost me $250 + to get it all together and that's not including the new light fixture I plan on getting in the future.

You'd need
Tank $15
Filter $25
Heater $25
Light fixture $45
Power head $35
Live rock or base rock $90
Sand (preferably live but not a must) $20

Those are rough estimates of what everything costed for me.
i would love to know where you got those cheap prices from! how many gallons/litres was your tank? arent filter and power head the same , im new to saltwater
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Try going used for equipment! You can do ...

Filter 10-20$
Heater 5-15$
Power heads 20-40$ for 2
Sand - free or just buy dry sand for 15-20$
Rock 50-100$
Lighting 50-100$

I have a big reefing community in my area so gettin all this stuff for cheap is fairly simple! Look around your area!

How many gallons is this tank?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com