starting a reef, send help and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, Ive been keeping a 55 gallon freshwater for some time now and I wish to try and start my first reef. Im slowly understanding what all I will need to start a project like this, but Im sure Ive left about 10 key things out. Ive got time and I wont be starting this very very soon, probably in a week or 2.

I have two tank options, one is a 2.5 gallon and the other is either a 10 or a 15, im waiting for my friend to let me know so I can get it from him. Which one should I use?

I havent found a place to get less than 20 pounds of live rock, if I end up using the 2.5 gallon I know I wont need that much. If yall give me a good live rock site Im sure theyd have good live sand too and Id go ahead and get that there. In the way of all the filters pumps skimmers and such, Ive read about alot of different ones so I have no idea which ones I should be looking for. WHAT do I need to get?? Lastly what kind of testing will I need to be doing to the water andwhat to get for that. And alittle help with all the abbreviations, I have no idea what half those mean.

Thanks! HELP :D :D :D :D

Hi there, Tentacles. Welcome to AA.

Go with the largest thing you possibly can, so the 15 gallon if that is the largest option. www.liveaquaria.com or www.tampabaysaltwater.com has good liverock and has gotten great feedback on here. As for filtration, if you are looking to do a reef tank (as oposed to FOWLR (fish only with live rock)) I would simply get 2lb per gallon of liverock, 2 powerheads or so, and a small protein skimmer. About testing, a saltwater master test kit will be all you initially need, plus something to measure salinity like a refractometer or hydrometer. When you get into the reef aspect, you should really pick up a calcium and phosphate kit.

HTH

WELCOME TO AA!!!
I agree, in SW bigger is better. Devilish gave some great advice.

Welcome!!!

As for tank, personally I would not recomend anyone start with less than a 55g. Anything under 10g really is not an option and even 10-30g takes an experienced sw aquarist.

Most important do not rush into it. Do what you are doing now and reseach what it takes. There are many posts on this site that can walk you through setting up a new tank. I would also recomend getting some good books.

I was a long time FW keeper and can tell you that sw is harder only because it requires more patience.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

HTH,

afilter said:
Welcome!!!

As for tank, personally I would not recomend anyone start with less than a 55g. Anything under 10g really is not an option and even 10-30g takes an experienced sw aquarist.
(y) (y)

My opinion exactly. You might want to check out the nano forum if you do go that route. Most will go the bigger tank first and then for a challenge go with the nano.

Tank size

So maybe get a 20g or 30g lying around and put my balas and gourami in it, and use their 55g to start up on an SW? I have access to a 20g I think to do the switch in, how does that sound? Thanks!

If the FW fish will be happy in the smaller thank, I am all for it.
Remember, please do not cycle with live animals.

Re: Tank size

Tentacles said:
So maybe get a 20g or 30g lying around and put my balas and gourami in it, and use their 55g to start up on an SW? I have access to a 20g I think to do the switch in, how does that sound? Thanks!

Yes, if you are ready to make the jump to SW IMO that would be the best option with you existing tanks.

Remember there are some more equipment requirements depeding on what type of SW setup you are planning (ie FO. FOWLR, Reef).

It is not just as simple as using the same filtration and lighting you had for the fw and adding salt mix. I do not state this to insult anyone, but some people including LFS have this opinion.

The other thing to consider when using a used tank is were and meds such as a copper based product used in it. If so it will not be a ggod choice if ever planning to keep inverts/corals.

HTH,

The other thing to consider when using a used tank is were and meds such as a copper based product used in it.
Good point!

my reef

well i guess to everyone here's dismay, or disagreement, I have got my 2gallon pico up and running. Ive been reading and posting on nano-reef.com for about a month or so learning the tricks of the nano reefing trade and since I couldnt afford to go out and buy all the fancy equipment for a 30 or 55 gallon reef tank, Ive done a 2g. Ive had the tank running with my ac20, topfin 25watt heater and 20watt bulb for about 3 days now with just water. All of m levels have checked out and my hydrometer is reading between 1.023 and 1.025 everytime i use it, the slight flux being when i have or have not done a fresh top off. So let me know what you think, I am heading to the lfs later today tp get a pound of live rock and a few pounds of live sand. The tank is new so there isnt any residue of any type in it btw.

Ben

Not to our dismay. Nano tanks can be really cool, as long as you realize that they need alot more attention and it's easier to mess things up with a nano. That's why everyone says that bigger is better (ie: more stable, easier). Send pics. :)

You might want to practice keeping that water salinity level more stable between top offs. That is a pretty good change all of a sudden.

Here is the link to my thread on NanoReef, ill try to start one on here soon. Ive got my salinity stable at about 1.024 for the last week and its getting alot of algae and whatnot on the rock, and i have a featherduster. Any comments/ suggestions gladly taken as always.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98872

btw anyone want a pound or so piece of lr, it still smells like the day i got it and i have no uses for it.

It looks like you have plenty of room for another piece of rock in that tank, which is looking good to me by the way!
The more rock the better IMO.

Yea i rearranged the rock a bit and managed to fit another piece in so its like a half moon all around the tank if you look at it from the top. Thanks for the suggestion :)

so the tank finished its cycle a few days ago, alot of green hair algae and tons of tiny critters zooming around on the glass. got some great info. on some richmond area lfs's so i went out today and picked up a peppermint shrimp, dwarf zebra hermit-didnt have any blue legged but he seems to do quite well so far, and 2 snails. also caught a glimpse of a small frag in the corner of a tank, covered in red polyps im assuking, he never id'ed it, and since it was 10 bucks and everything else was at least 25 i grabbed it. they havent come out yet and its been a few hours is this ok? everything else seems to be doing fine.

check out my thread on nano reef for some more pics above ^- theres a few unanswered questions on there too if anyone has any advice or info. it would be gladly taken. thanks

What LFS did you go to in Richmond? Also at the end of your cycle did you do a good size PWC.

i went to the two lfs's i was reccomended to go to in chesterfield- i go to school at VCU and my parents live in Chesterfield- the stores were fish world and richmond aquarium, both cool places, got something from each. yes i did about a 50% water change after the cycle, and the recently identified zoanthids have opened up nicely and everyones happy in the tank, actually found a new feather duster this morning

Back
Top Bottom