Starting a saltwater aquarium - please help with size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonance

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am going to be purchasing an aquarium with the intention of doing saltwater with corals. I am an ABSOLUTE beginner having only had a very small freshwater "as is" tank about 10 years ago. I obviously want a tank that would be good for a beginner, but I am not interested in starting so small that I am wanting to upgrade very quickly. I don't want to be too limited in what I can get.

That being said, i had initially thought about a 50 gallon or so, but I'm not sure that is big enough as i have heard that size is actually more work and tougher to maintain. I found this one on craigslist that is 90 gallons. Do you all think that would be a good size for me? Please help :fish2:

Beautiful 90 Gal Aquarium

The bigger the better easy on mantiance, and changes to water quality will be easy to catch slow changes hope someone chimes in with more experience. Good luck

I think for salt either a 55 or 75g tank is the best starter tank. There are a lot of different ways to go, 48" lights are plentiful. You have enough volume for some cool occupants and stable water. I went with a 47g column tank as my first salt tank and it had some challenges due to its of shape but overall fairly easy to maintain, I'm now working on a 6ft 135g tank. So I can get some tangs and more coral, it's kinda addictive because there's a lot of room to grow with reef tanks. I feel like freshwater kinda has limits, where salt is wide open for as far as your wallet and dedication will allow.

I am currently on my first ever tank and its a 90 gallon saltwater. I have yet to have any significant problems with it however it does get expensive. I recommend the 90 as a good starter as long as you have the money to spend.

I would say a 75 or a 90 would be the easiest. They are both 4' tanks, just like the 55, only wider. Having had a 55g, aquascaping is much easier on standard 75 or 90 gallon setup. Just my two cents.

I have a 55 and it was pretty much my first tank, I wish I upgraded to a 90 or bigger - you have more options and more stable water paramaters in case something goes wrong. 90 sound good. and that price isnt bad.

I'm not sure that $575 for just the tank stand and canopy is a good deal, but it probably depends on your local area. You'd still need some kind of lighting and filtration, which it appears that they have and are not including?

For a starter tank, I think 75-90 is great for saltwater. I got a 75 last summer and already am looking to go larger 180-maybe 300g. I had a 90g years ago and had to stick with that due to space constraints in my old place.

Back
Top Bottom