Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok this is my opinion. First 20 g will fill up quickly so be very picky about what corals you get. Do not get quick growing corals unless that is the only coral you want in the tank because they will take over the tank also being a small tank you will need to keep a very close eye on your parameters.

Second. You have to use ro di water. Either find a reliable trustworthy place to buy the water or get your own ro di unit.

Then you will of course need salt (I like reef crystals), a skimmer ( you can get hang on the back skimmers), heater, power heads, good lights, live rock, a hydrometer, and test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the beginning. You may meed other test kits the more advanced you get.

This is iust the very basics. Hope I didnt forget anything. Saltwater is way different than fresh
But it is more rewarding imo

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
Ok this is my opinion. First 20 g will fill up quickly so be very picky about what corals you get. Do not get quick growing corals unless that is the only coral you want in the tank because they will take over the tank also being a small tank you will need to keep a very close eye on your parameters.

Second. You have to use ro di water. Either find a reliable trustworthy place to buy the water or get your own ro di unit.

Then you will of course need salt (I like reef crystals), a skimmer ( you can get hang on the back skimmers), heater, power heads, good lights, live rock, a hydrometer, and test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the beginning. You may meed other test kits the more advanced you get.

This is iust the very basics. Hope I didnt forget anything. Saltwater is way different than fresh
But it is more rewarding imo
Do I have to use a skimmer, and what lights do u recommend?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

A skimmer for a reef tank is highly recommended, but not necessary. It will certaibly be beneficial for your tank. What do you plan on stocking this tank with, fish wise? Do spend the time to read the best bang for your bulk thread, it will tell you which lights are best for your system, coming straight from people's personal experience.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally I think a skimmer is a must have especially wiith corals. I have an Aqua C Remora skimmer on my 30 gallon. I also have an aqua illumination Nano light on my 30. Its a great light but there are other options out there. Just do tons of research.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just do tons of research.
I can't emphasize this enough.

And, most importantly, don't rush it. Cycle your tank the right way, slowly add livestock, check parameters, etc.

I'm going super slow on my 20 gallon, partly on purpose, partly because "life" gets in the way, but I know in the end it will be successful. (That being said, I'm not 100% sold on a skimmer for a 20 gallon. If you keep up with water changes and don't over feed, you should be ok. If I make a canopy for my tank, I might get a HOB skimmer, but I'm not sweating it.)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #16

How many fish can I put in it? Also, can I use the aqueon 30 as a filter?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will not be able to put too much in a 20 gallon. Maybe a clown or a couple firefish. A good place to look is at liveaquaria. It will tell you the minimum size tank the fish need. Also, I would not use a regular filter because it will build up nitrates unless you clean it frequently. Skimmer would be the way to go.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
You will not be able to put too much in a 20 gallon. Maybe a clown or a couple firefish. A good place to look is at liveaquaria. It will tell you the minimum size tank the fish need. Also, I would not use a regular filter because it will build up nitrates unless you clean it frequently. Skimmer would be the way to go.
I can't afford an expensive skimmer, and are there any alternatives to keeping nitrates low?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Doing water changes often. But that also adds up $. Saltwater is a lot more expensive compared freshwater. The fish are more expensive, corals can be lots of money. IMO if I am going to spend that much money on corals and fish, I want to make sure I can keep them alive. Because it stinks watching a $100 coral die (been there done that, makes you sick ) just start off real slow, take your time and when you do have the money get what you can.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #20

Shoul I get the 20 long or a standard 20?

Tags
reef, saltwater, starting, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com