starting a saltwater reef tank for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good HOB skimmer will run you around $150. You can get them for less, but they'll break down on you...

Doing water changes often. But that also adds up $. Saltwater is a lot more expensive compared freshwater. The fish are more expensive, corals can be lots of money. IMO if I am going to spend that much money on corals and fish, I want to make sure I can keep them alive. Because it stinks watching a $100 coral die (been there done that, makes you sick :( ) just start off real slow, take your time and when you do have the money get what you can.

Is it ok if I put carbon in the filter

You can use carbon in the filter but you will still need to keep the filter very clean. In freshwater they recommend NOT changing the filter pad because that os where the good bacteria is at. Well in saltwater you have to change the pad often (and that is more $)because that junk on the filter pad will cause your nitrates to go up

You can use carbon in the filter but you will still need to keep the filter very clean. In freshwater they recommend NOT changing the filter pad because that os where the good bacteria is at. Well in saltwater you have to change the pad often (and that is more $)because that junk on the filter pad will cause your nitrates to go up

Can I use carbon and live rock rubble in the filter?

I dont think the carbon would remove enough toxins from the water alone. The live rock in the main tank should be enough surface area for beneficial bacteria so I dont think you would need any in the filter. I personally do not think it would be removing enough "junk" from the water.

I dont think the carbon would remove enough toxins from the water alone. The live rock in the main tank should be enough surface area for beneficial bacteria so I dont think you would need any in the filter. I personally do not think it would be removing enough "junk" from the water.

Can I modify it into a hob refugium?
(Aqueon 30 filter)

With just the live rock and carbon I dont see how it will lower nitrates. Now if you decide to grow macroalgae in the refugium. That could lower nitrates but then again, you will need lights for them to grow. The filter isnt large enough to do a deep sand bed so that wont help you.

Have you looked on craiglist? There might be a complete set up or equipment near you that might be more affordable

With just the live rock and carbon I dont see how it will lower nitrates. Now if you decide to grow macroalgae in the refugium. That could lower nitrates but then again, you will need lights for them to grow. The filter isnt large enough to do a deep sand bed so that wont help you.

How much do hob refugium normally go for?

Also, if I modify the filter into a refugium and the weekly water changes, will I be able to keep corals?

I love my wrasses, I have a tank half full of them and intend on getting some more. I keep the non reef safe ones though but I love how big they get and they are aggressive which is a nice change of pace from the normal small reef safe wrasses. :) They are so sleek and so active, it's awesome!

what would be better for the fish, a 20 long, or a standard 20?

PLZ!!! ANSWER

Back
Top Bottom