starting a saltwater reef tank for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20 long in my opinion!

Also, I had 120 watt LEDS over my 20 and my corals loved it! I had the lights about 12-16 inches off the tank. As long as you have them far enough away from the water you're fine!

Also I didn't have a skimmer on my tank and it was totally fine so I don't think it's needed! On smaller tanks I think it's better to just do water changes weekly! Hope this helps.

20 long in my opinion!

Also, I had 120 watt LEDS over my 20 and my corals loved it! I had the lights about 12-16 inches off the tank. As long as you have them far enough away from the water you're fine!

Also I didn't have a skimmer on my tank and it was totally fine so I don't think it's needed! On smaller tanks I think it's better to just do water changes weekly! Hope this helps.

What brand and how much was it?

For the most part, yes.

That being said, I have aastandard 20 and my fish like it just fine.

I'm planning to stock it with 2 ocelaris clown, firefish, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Whay would be the best clean up crew for a 20 gallon and is are my inhabitants good?

I just prefer the long, some fish do prefer the swim room but I also think it is a more interesting footprint to aqua scape and easier to light because its shallower. It really is personal preference tho, what do you like?

I just prefer the long, some fish do prefer the swim room but I also think it is a more interesting footprint to aqua scape and easier to light because its shallower. It really is personal preference tho, what do you like?

What light would be good for a long, and what fish do you think I should keep?

I believe a 20L on 30 inches so a 30" light. lol With it being shallow you dont need a major amount of light so if it were me I'd go with a 4 bulb t5 unit. If you went with the led panel you would have more light than you would know what to do with. lol But the led's are good for like 5 years whereas t5's need to be replaced every year or so.

I believe a 20L on 30 inches so a 30" light. lol With it being shallow you dont need a major amount of light so if it were me I'd go with a 4 bulb t5 unit. If you went with the led panel you would have more light than you would know what to do with. lol But the led's are good for like 5 years whereas t5's need to be replaced every year or so.

Can you give me some suggestion on both leds and t5 that are not too expensive cuz I'm on a tight budget.

Can you give me some suggestion on both leds and t5 that are not too expensive cuz I'm on a tight budget.

In my opinion, I'd get taotronic dimmable LEDs! You can dim the lights to adjust to your tank, and use them for any upgrade you have coming up. I used my LEDs on my 20 and now they're on my 40 gallon! Also they don't produce heat and don't need to be replaced! I had t5s and they were okay, but LEDs are amazing! Just my opinion!

Over my 20L QT I have maxspect g2 160 over it and just one is to much. If you go led make sure you have control of it cause you may end up with a algae problem.

In my opinion, I'd get taotronic dimmable LEDs! You can dim the lights to adjust to your tank, and use them for any upgrade you have coming up. I used my LEDs on my 20 and now they're on my 40 gallon! Also they don't produce heat and don't need to be replaced! I had t5s and they were okay, but LEDs are amazing! Just my opinion!

is there a cheaper alternative

Over my 20L QT I have maxspect g2 160 over it and just one is to much. If you go led make sure you have control of it cause you may end up with a algae problem.

it looks expensive i don't have that kind of money right now

Well I got my unit used for 100$ can't get much cheaper than that! At first I went with t5s because they were more affordable and did the job! But then I wanted sps and a clam and nem etc. in which case higher light is needed! So I knew I had to get LEDs and it was the best choice I made :) like I said before, this is just my opinion!

The Taotronic LEDs are about as inexpensive as they get, and are *awesome* lights to boot. Unlike T5 bulbs, which are pricey and need to be replaced at regular intervals, they never need to be replaced.

The Taotronic LEDs are about as inexpensive as they get, and are *awesome* lights to boot. Unlike T5 bulbs, which are pricey and need to be replaced at regular intervals, they never need to be replaced.

Which taotronic LEDs and what are your opinions on power compacts.

Currently, LEDs are doing great. They are just overly pricey at the start...but the optics will last for roughly 10 years. I personally use Ecotech Radions, but the Taotronics do the job for a much better price.
T5HO are an option, but need several bulb units to keep LPS and even more for sps. ALong with that, standard bulbs don't usually cut the mustard and then drop money on pricier bulbs. I have some of these bulbs just sitting in my living room gathering dust because I got tired of replacing them and got LEDs. Bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months as with age the spectrum they put out changes.
MH have kept coral for years and were the high output standard until LEDs hit the market. They put out a ton of heat and makes tanks quite hot, usually requiring a fan or even a chiller to keep the temp down. Then it can come down to the bulbs yet again just like T5HO.
All of these work, just in terms of saving money and not needing to upgrade LED wins. You just need to be careful not to burn corals. I did that when I first got my Radions when I underestimated the pure penetration power LEDs offer. Because of this, if you get any LED unit you should look into a feature that allows you to dim them to assist with acclimation of new corals into your tank.

it looks expensive i don't have that kind of money right now

I don't know if they make them anymore I got them a few years back I have seen them selling for cheap online only problem you cannot dim them you can only open or close each light but they are great grew my first mix reef with them.

Back
Top Bottom