Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Evansimp's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 874
20 long in my opinion!


Also, I had 120 watt LEDS over my 20 and my corals loved it! I had the lights about 12-16 inches off the tank. As long as you have them far enough away from the water you're fine!

Also I didn't have a skimmer on my tank and it was totally fine so I don't think it's needed! On smaller tanks I think it's better to just do water changes weekly! Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon Nano Reef
Evansimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I would choose a 20long over a standard for sure
Why? A 20 long is pretty shallow and do the fish prefer to swim horizontally
__________________

__________________
jdavid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post
20 long in my opinion!


Also, I had 120 watt LEDS over my 20 and my corals loved it! I had the lights about 12-16 inches off the tank. As long as you have them far enough away from the water you're fine!

Also I didn't have a skimmer on my tank and it was totally fine so I don't think it's needed! On smaller tanks I think it's better to just do water changes weekly! Hope this helps.
What brand and how much was it?
__________________
jdavid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Evansimp's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid71 View Post

What brand and how much was it?
Brigelux, and I got it lightly used from a local reefer for 100$! But a dimmable Tao would be perfect! LEDs are much easier in my opinion than t5s, if you can afford them
__________________
20 Gallon Nano Reef
Evansimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid71 View Post
Why? A 20 long is pretty shallow and do the fish prefer to swim horizontally
For the most part, yes.

That being said, I have a standard 20 and my fish like it just fine.
__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
For the most part, yes.

That being said, I have aastandard 20 and my fish like it just fine.
I'm planning to stock it with 2 ocelaris clown, firefish, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Whay would be the best clean up crew for a 20 gallon and is are my inhabitants good?
__________________
jdavid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
I just prefer the long, some fish do prefer the swim room but I also think it is a more interesting footprint to aqua scape and easier to light because its shallower. It really is personal preference tho, what do you like?
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I just prefer the long, some fish do prefer the swim room but I also think it is a more interesting footprint to aqua scape and easier to light because its shallower. It really is personal preference tho, what do you like?
What light would be good for a long, and what fish do you think I should keep?
__________________
jdavid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I believe a 20L on 30 inches so a 30" light. lol With it being shallow you dont need a major amount of light so if it were me I'd go with a 4 bulb t5 unit. If you went with the led panel you would have more light than you would know what to do with. lol But the led's are good for like 5 years whereas t5's need to be replaced every year or so.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I believe a 20L on 30 inches so a 30" light. lol With it being shallow you dont need a major amount of light so if it were me I'd go with a 4 bulb t5 unit. If you went with the led panel you would have more light than you would know what to do with. lol But the led's are good for like 5 years whereas t5's need to be replaced every year or so.
Can you give me some suggestion on both leds and t5 that are not too expensive cuz I'm on a tight budget.
__________________

__________________
jdavid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reef, saltwater, starting, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.