starting a saltwater reef tank for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can you guys give me the most affordable setup and the cost?

Thank you! !!!!

Sounds like funds are right for this tank! There is no cheap way to do a reef tank properly. I recommend starting off fish only anyway as waiting a good 6 months is always a good idea before adding corals. Fish aren't fussy for lighting anyway and it gives you time to get used to the maintenance and upkeep of the tank. It's hard to put a ballpark figure on what a set up costs as you will find many different opinions too. I can tell you that my 55g cost around $1800 to set up that was just tank, skimmer, powerheads, sand, rock, test kits and a few other bits and bobs. I have dropped many thousands since. Don't do what I did, buy lights - upgrade 2 months later, buy more lights (t5s) upgrade 4 months later to leds. Wasted so much money. Don't forget too that corals are expensive to buy and are very addictive!

Sounds like funds are right for this tank! There is no cheap way to do a reef tank properly. I recommend starting off fish only anyway as waiting a good 6 months is always a good idea before adding corals. Fish aren't fussy for lighting anyway and it gives you time to get used to the maintenance and upkeep of the tank. It's hard to put a ballpark figure on what a set up costs as you will find many different opinions too. I can tell you that my 55g cost around $1800 to set up that was just tank, skimmer, powerheads, sand, rock, test kits and a few other bits and bobs. I have dropped many thousands since. Don't do what I did, buy lights - upgrade 2 months later, buy more lights (t5s) upgrade 4 months later to leds. Wasted so much money. Don't forget too that corals are expensive to buy and are very addictive!

What light should I get for a fowlr and what substrate is the best?

Those lights are among the cheapest you can get and will work for almost any tank allowing you to keep pretty much whatever you like. :) Not very much is cheap with saltwater unfortunately.

Is it ok if I put a skunk cleaner shrimp in a fowlr? For now I'm gonna do fowlr setup then put reefs I'm after 6 months.

As long as you aren't putting fish in that won't eat it. And the same would go for the future reef. Make sure the fish you decide to put in wont nip and eat corals for that eventual upgrade.

Totally depends on the fish. It's not about size either but lifestlye of the fish. Big swimmers shouldnt go into such a small tank but there might be a larger fish that just hangs out and doesnt need the swim room.

Check out liveaquaria.com Thye have like every fish you'd ever want and it shows recommended tank sizes and a little bit about care and requirements.

Back
Top Bottom