Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

starting a saltwater reef tank for beginners

I am converting to saltwater reef tank because we have kept freshwater fish for some time now. Can you guys help me by posting websites that are reliable, so I can fully understand on what I need to do. I am commited to it and my tank size is going to be a 20 gallon tank. Also, if you guys can leave any tips, also keep in mind that I am a complete beginner on saltwater.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have a look at some of the articles on here about setting up a salt water tank and ongoing maintenance. Plenty if good info to be found. When you are ready to start up you can ask loads of questions here!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The articles on fishless cycling on this site are great.

Also, if you want a good book (or two), I highly recommend the following:

Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder by Martin A. Moe | 9780982026212 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

The Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems under 15 Gallons by Chris R. Brightwell | 9780793807178 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

I have a 20 gallon and love it. More importantly, my wife and kids love it, as well (so much so that my wife wants a 120 now )
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

What lighting should I use and how many watts per gallon. What light will allow me to keep most corals
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

See the thread about lighting, best bang for your buck. TLDR version: Taotronics dimmable 120 watt.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
See the thread about lighting, best bang for your buck. TLDR version: Taotronics dimmable 120 watt.
So 6 watts per gallon is good? Also, can you explain what actinic light is? What light can I use at night or do I not need one?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need watts per gallon. PAR and PUR is what's important with corals. Those lights are dimmable, so they can be dialed down. The full 120 will most likely destroy corals in a 20 gallon tank.

You don't need light at night.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read that thread on lighting that I referenced earlier. There is a lot of good info in it. Yes it's long, and will take time, but everything in this hobby takes time. Take your time, read, do your research...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ck-239661.html
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quick question. Do you plan on having corals? Because if you do the set up would be a little different with lights etc. actnic lights are the blue light that really make things pop in a saltwater tank. You dont have to have special light if you go with just fish and inverts like shrimp , hermit crabs etc
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post
Quick question. Do you plan on having corals? Because if you do the set up would be a little different with lights etc. actnic lights are the blue light that really make things pop in a saltwater tank. You dont have to have special light if you go with just fish and inverts like shrimp , hermit crabs etc
Yes, I want to keep corals

Tags
reef, saltwater, starting, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com