Starting a Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I am thinking of starting a saltwater tank so could someone please tell me the basics I will need to know.

I was thinking of fish only with live rock. When doing things like water changes do you need to use special water like RO water.

Here's another site I used when starting out a few months ago:

Saltwater Fish Aquarium Setup

**I've heard that RO/DI units are better because the water is pure, but I do not use one right now. I only have a FOWLR, so I think I can get away with it; for a while anyway; plus they are kinda costly.

How much water volume would I need for 3 ocellaris clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue rang and a fire goby and how much do these fish cost.

The tangs will need a lot of room probably close to a 180 gallon tank for a hippo tang, they will need the most room not because of their size but because the way they like to swim. Clowns are very territorial I don't know if you could keep 3 in a tank without a lot of problems. Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons

What saltwater fish could you put with 2 clownfish in a 33g fish only tank with live rock.

And how many of each species could you put with the clownfish in the 33g fish only aquarium with live rock.

There are a lot of fishies you can put with two clowns...here are two that i particularly like for small aquariums because of their colour

six-lined wrasse (good for eating bristle worms)
flame angel (only if you are not getting corals)

Considering Clowns aggressive nature it might be good to get a purple dotty back. They too are slightly aggressive. I would make sure that the dotty is eating frozen mysis before adding to your tank. Within the first few days you will know if the two will get along. If the clowns show a lot of aggression try rearranging your rocks.

If I were to buy 2 ocellaris clowns, a six-lined wrasse, a flame angel and a purple dotty back. How much Australian dollars would I expect to pay for each spieces and what order would you add them in.

I have no idea what they would cost in Australian dollars since i am in Canada :p.

I would add the most dosile fish first and the most aggressive fish last. I would properly add the clowns last since they can hold their own and they will generally gain up on other fish. I think the flame angel is the least aggressive so I would add him first. Than probably the six-line wrasse and the purple dotty than the clowns last. This is just my best guess I would talk to your lfs first :p...

i would without a doubt add the clowns last. Word of warning clowns have a history of biting their owners. You might have a few thumb wars with them. They aren't big enough to cause any damage. If they really really like your tank and are feeling naughty they will probably lay eggs since they can change their sex at will.

With these fish could I put a mandarin fish and what other fishcan go with the ocellaris clowns the purple dottyback the flame angel and the sixline wrasse.

Foskett96 said:
With these fish could I put a mandarin fish and what other fishcan go with the ocellaris clowns the purple dottyback the flame angel and the sixline wrasse.

Mandarin must be placed in a mature tank. They are expert only, because they are hard to get them feeding frozen food.

33g really limits your fish... You can put in a dwarf angel fish. Look at Liveaquaria.com. Give you tank sizes and compatibility charts.

Back
Top Bottom