Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't use a canister or hob, just get a good skimmer instead and a couple of power heads for flow. Your live rock will be your best filter Best to add all your rock in the beginning - it can be a pain adding it to an established tank unless it's fully cured live rock.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I would 100% add live rock it will make maintaining the tank much easier. You wanna shoot for 1-1 and a half lbs per gallon of live rock. Then down the line you can get good lighting and add corals.

What do you mean 1-1??? And that is what i'm thinking. Start with live rock then add coral if I want!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I wouldn't use a canister or hob, just get a good skimmer instead and a couple of power heads for flow. Your live rock will be your best filter Best to add all your rock in the beginning - it can be a pain adding it to an established tank unless it's fully cured live rock.

What is a skimmer?? And thats probably what i will do. Start with live rock and see how it goes!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe a protein skimmer is much more beneficial than a hob or a canister for a salt tank. I have heard people have success with canisters but they need regular cleaning once if not twice a week as thy can harbour nitrates. Do have a read of the article on here about types of filtration and set ups, loads of good info...
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
I believe a protein skimmer is much more beneficial than a hob or a canister for a salt tank. I have heard people have success with canisters but they need regular cleaning once if not twice a week as thy can harbour nitrates. Do have a read of the article on here about types of filtration and set ups, loads of good info...

Thanks. I'm trying to read everything I can before going and buying anything.

Keep the info coming!!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velksfish View Post

What do you mean 1-1??? And that is what i'm thinking. Start with live rock then add coral if I want!!!!
Sorry 1 lb to 1 and a half pounds of live rock
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I personaly from experiance would recommend a sump set up. I started with HOBs they work not gonna say they dont I prefer a sump set up because the HOB filters will cause spatter and that spatter causes salt creep on the tank. Sumps dont do that. Also with the sump system it elimonates alot of the stuff hanging in the tank its self. It provides filtration and a place for protein skimmer( a must for salt water) the sump can be set up in the cabinet under your tank so that everything is hidden. You have to filter along with the skimmer so that puts everything in one spot and not on the back of your tank.
Fish only requires more work because the live rock isnt there to help with biofiltration. Fish with live rock is easier to maintain filtration wise.
When you get into corals you should research lighting because they have special requirements that standard bulbs cant do. Lights for corals are expensive so be prepaired for that.
Initial set up for salt water is much more expensive than fresh water maintenance is also more expensive.
I use my tap water which has a natural high Ph. But you should test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates. If they are present I would recommend an RODI unit to do your water or find a supplier you can purchase water from for water changes as salt water in my opinion is more sensitive to the phosphates expecialy.
Research the fish you like see what their maximum requirements are and use that to guide tank size and needs.
Also consider your wallet size lol because it can get pricey quick.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post
I personaly from experiance would recommend a sump set up. I started with HOBs they work not gonna say they dont I prefer a sump set up because the HOB filters will cause spatter and that spatter causes salt creep on the tank. Sumps dont do that. Also with the sump system it elimonates alot of the stuff hanging in the tank its self. It provides filtration and a place for protein skimmer( a must for salt water) the sump can be set up in the cabinet under your tank so that everything is hidden. You have to filter along with the skimmer so that puts everything in one spot and not on the back of your tank. Fish only requires more work because the live rock isnt there to help with biofiltration. Fish with live rock is easier to maintain filtration wise. When you get into corals you should research lighting because they have special requirements that standard bulbs cant do. Lights for corals are expensive so be prepaired for that. Initial set up for salt water is much more expensive than fresh water maintenance is also more expensive. I use my tap water which has a natural high Ph. But you should test your tap water for nitrates and phosphates. If they are present I would recommend an RODI unit to do your water or find a supplier you can purchase water from for water changes as salt water in my opinion is more sensitive to the phosphates expecialy. Research the fish you like see what their maximum requirements are and use that to guide tank size and needs. Also consider your wallet size lol because it can get pricey quick.

Thanks. If I would do a canister filter and a skimmer, would that work ??? Or is it just best to do a sump tank?? Need to learn more about sump tank if thats the best route to take. And probably a dumb question. But live rock is for substrate?? Along with gravel???? Or is it the actual rock pieces in the tank???
Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velksfish View Post

Thanks. If I would do a canister filter and a skimmer, would that work ??? Or is it just best to do a sump tank?? Need to learn more about sump tank if thats the best route to take. And probably a dumb question. But live rock is for substrate?? Along with gravel???? Or is it the actual rock pieces in the tank???

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131201_100224.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	210062

I personaly have never used canisters but have read in many places they become a nitrate head ache in salt water.
Substrate should be live sand with actual rock chunks bigger pieces of rock on top of the sand.
Heres a pic of some of my live rock
Old 12-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post
I personaly have never used canisters but have read in many places they become a nitrate head ache in salt water. Substrate should be live sand with actual rock chunks bigger pieces of rock on top of the sand. Heres a pic of some of my live rock

Thats a nice tank. And i wasn't thinking canister filter. I was think a HOB filter and a skimmer. But sounds like I would be better off with a sump tank and skimmer????

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com