Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
alco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoira, Australia
Posts: 322
Use Crushed coral sand for the bottom of the tank, I prefer 1mm grain and minimal amount is about 2" thick, 3"-4" preferred. then stack up the live rock for biofilter/ for fish to hide in.

Also I've worked with canister filters, I much prefer a sump due to it's easier to add stuff to the filtration as you go on. eg: biopellet reactor, uv sterilizer, chiller etc.

Plus with a sump you can design it as you want and hide all the heaters, skimmer etc under the cabinet rather it being shown in a tank and they're much easier to maintain and work rather than pulling apart a canister filter when you need to do maintenance.

Also with a sump, if your going down that road, would be recommending a refugium setup, best biological filter money can buy i believe.
__________________

__________________
alco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velksfish View Post
Like big rock structures/pieces. Or like crushed up live rock use on the bottom of the tank??
Various size pieces to make a large structure with
Caves and lots of hiding places for everything to hide .
I'm sure I have a picture posted on here
__________________

__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Velksfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco1 View Post
Use Crushed coral sand for the bottom of the tank, I prefer 1mm grain and minimal amount is about 2" thick, 3"-4" preferred. then stack up the live rock for biofilter/ for fish to hide in. Also I've worked with canister filters, I much prefer a sump due to it's easier to add stuff to the filtration as you go on. eg: biopellet reactor, uv sterilizer, chiller etc. Plus with a sump you can design it as you want and hide all the heaters, skimmer etc under the cabinet rather it being shown in a tank and they're much easier to maintain and work rather than pulling apart a canister filter when you need to do maintenance. Also with a sump, if your going down that road, would be recommending a refugium setup, best biological filter money can buy i believe.


Thanks very helpful. More info is welcome.
Sorry for all the dumb questions but want to cover all my basics before i even try to get start. Where i live has very hard water with iron and other stuff. I mean you can drink it and all but we run ours thru a britta filter. Is this okay to use in a sw tank???? Or what are my options????
My freshwater tank has it in it and seems to be ok.
__________________
Velksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Velksfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
Various size pieces to make a large structure with Caves and lots of hiding places for everything to hide . I'm sure I have a picture posted on here

Thanks great to know. Sorry for the dumb questions but want to learn everything before i start
__________________
Velksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
alco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoira, Australia
Posts: 322
It's all good.... at the end of the day, if you believe your water is really quite pure and cant really see any problems with the britta filter then just use it for SW with chemical to remove chlorine etc like what your probably doing at the moment with your FW or else if your looking to add corals in the tank or don't really trust your water definitely do ro filter.

Corals can be quite pedantic with water quality, and if you really want to avoid all the headaches in the future. just buy a $150 RO/DI filter.
__________________
alco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Velksfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco1 View Post
It's all good.... at the end of the day, if you believe your water is really quite pure and cant really see any problems with the britta filter then just use it for SW with chemical to remove chlorine etc like what your probably doing at the moment with your FW or else if your looking to add corals in the tank or don't really trust your water definitely do ro filter. Corals can be quite pedantic with water quality, and if you really want to avoid all the headaches in the future. just buy a $150 RO/DI filter.


I don't use any chemicals on my FW tank. But i have a HOB and Canister filter on it.

What is RO/DI filter???
__________________
Velksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
RODI is a water filtering system ,
It takes all the pollutants out if the water ,


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3950136052.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	210373

This is a picture of mine .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Velksfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
RODI is a water filtering system , It takes all the pollutants out if the water , This is a picture of mine .

Ok thanks.
__________________
Velksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
ill be the first to admit that constantly seeing "what do i need for a sw tank?" threads used to be annoying, however im glad to see that people are being drawn to our hobby and are willing to learn. ill take that over blindly jumping in anyday. that being said, welcome aboard!! i wish you nothing but the best of luck in your sw ventures (just remember it WILL become an obsession at some point or another)
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Velksfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
ill be the first to admit that constantly seeing "what do i need for a sw tank?" threads used to be annoying, however im glad to see that people are being drawn to our hobby and are willing to learn. ill take that over blindly jumping in anyday. that being said, welcome aboard!! i wish you nothing but the best of luck in your sw ventures (just remember it WILL become an obsession at some point or another)


Thanks. Looking forward to getting started.
__________________

__________________
Velksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.