Starting A Saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was reading. That once your tank is setup and running you only need to do a water change once a month, is this right?????

No that's not right. There are certain people that have systems setup with oversized filtration and no4 removers but that's a TON of money. Majority of hobbyists do either a small weekly water change (myself) or a larger bi-weekly water change. As for the rodi unit, it's as simple as mounting somewhere near a water line, buying a rodi water container, and plumbing in 3 lines (product, waste and supply. There are auto shut off valves and auto flush kits and gpd upgrades but you could always venture into that once you are comfortable

How hard is that??

If you don't want to purchase a RODI yet ,
The alternative is to purchase ro or RODI water from a store or water machine .
Mixing the salt is very easy .
You will need either a refractometer or hydrometer , a hydrometer will work but not the most accurate device for measuring .
All I can suggest is price the difference , if you want to go the route like the rest of us and mix your own to physically do it yourself is the easiest way to learn .

If you don't want to purchase a RODI yet , The alternative is to purchase ro or RODI water from a store or water machine . Mixing the salt is very easy . You will need either a refractometer or hydrometer , a hydrometer will work but not the most accurate device for measuring . All I can suggest is price the difference , if you want to go the route like the rest of us and mix your own to physically do it yourself is the easiest way to learn .

How do i go about learning the right way to mix.?

How do i go about learning the right way to mix.?

The instructions are on the bucket .
Always add the salt to the water , not the other way .
Start off by mixing it with less salt then test .
To adjust salinity add salt gradually till it is dissolved and reads 1.026 or 35ppt
That is the highest . Recommended for reefs .
Fish only you can mix It to 1.021

I buy salt water from my LFS because it's convenient for me, I am lucky it's only a 10 kin drive away - I fill up 4x 25litre jugs (3 salt 1 RO-DI) so it's a once a month trip for me. So if it's convenient for you then go for it. FYI I do 10% water changes weekly. Dangers In going to the LFS monthly? I always come out with my water and a bagful of corals ;)

I buy salt water from my LFS because it's convenient for me, I am lucky it's only a 10 kin drive away - I fill up 4x 25litre jugs (3 salt 1 RO-DI) so it's a once a month trip for me. So if it's convenient for you then go for it. FYI I do 10% water changes weekly. Dangers In going to the LFS monthly? I always come out with my water and a bagful of corals ;)

The bag full of corals ;)
Was the key word lol
I haven't made a trip to the LFS without spending less then $150
This is why I mix my water .
It's a obsession as mentioned before .

You?? lol I go through a couple hundred gallons a month right now. I LOVE my BRS ro/di unit. Its probably my favorite fish tank purchase! Right there above my refractometer. lol

See I don't like mine. 1) the pressure gauge connector starts leaking as the ASO builds pressure, 2) I've emailed BRS 2 times and called once, no response

Not to say that BRS is lacking in quality or customer service, that was just my experiment with them. Plus I was flipping through a marine depot catalog and found a spectra pure 90gph 5-stage with 2- dual TSS meters for 300. Main thing I like I the 1:1 ratio. Will cut down on water consumption. Thinking of selling mine and buying that one

Not to say that BRS is lacking in quality or customer service, that was just my experiment with them. Plus I was flipping through a marine depot catalog and found a spectra pure 90gph 5-stage with 2- dual TSS meters for 300. Main thing I like I the 1:1 ratio. Will cut down on water consumption. Thinking of selling mine and buying that one

I have the same make .
90 gal per day .
But no TDS gauge

Pretty much, with some slight differences. My pressure gauge sits in the back and where your gauge is, there's a dual TDS meter. Wish I would have seen the other rodi unit before buying this one

I have came across a 36 gallon bow front tank. For $170. Its a saltwater setup comes with a hob filter and some live rock. I know I would probably have to buy a better filter and a skimmer. Just wondering if this is worth it. And comes with some fish.

I would say no. Unless there are some expensive fish in there and has a very good protein skimmer along with other saltwater necessities. If not, it's no different than a freshwater setup. I'd keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom