Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Starting a saltwater tank first time

Hi,

i am thinking of getting a saltwater tank.i am think 30 gallons.

what fish would be good. i am thinking blennies,neon gobies,pajama cardinal fish,strawberry gramma,yellowtail damsel fish,common clown fish,royal gramma,blackfinned trigger fish,and blue green chromis. i will not be getting all of these fish. but i just wanted to know if anyone had have any problems with these fish or if they are to big for my tank. i allso like dwarf angle fish and tangs but i heard they where to big. for the setup i was thinking a powerhead and a filter. i will allso have a heater. any suggestions or tips. i am brandnew to this.

i have not purchased any thing yet.

thank you

i have a 35 gallon freshwater currently.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey471 View Post
Hi,

i am thinking of getting a saltwater tank.i am think 30 gallons.

what fish would be good. i am thinking blennies,neon gobies,pajama cardinal fish,strawberry gramma,yellowtail damsel fish,common clown fish,royal gramma,blackfinned trigger fish,and blue green chromis. i will not be getting all of these fish. but i just wanted to know if anyone had have any problems with these fish or if they are to big for my tank. i allso like dwarf angle fish and tangs but i heard they where to big. for the setup i was thinking a powerhead and a filter. i will allso have a heater. any suggestions or tips. i am brandnew to this.

i have not purchased any thing yet.

thank you

i have a 35 gallon freshwater currently.
my first piece of advice is to get a good book and read it. You're on the right track by asking questions here as well. At first it is all very overwhelming, but once you figure it out, it's not that much tougher than freshwater. Just a few extra things you have to moniter.

Are you planning any coral?

No trigger will fit in a tank this size. I would recommend 4 small fish for a fowlr, or 3 small fish for a reef. You may be able to get away with more, but start very slowly. Use a filter rated twice the size of your tank.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you

yes i am planning on coral, but will probly start with live rock. don`t you attach the coral to the live rock.com?

is 30 gallons a good size or should i go to 40. i heard that smaller tanks are harder to keep balanced.

thanks again
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have allso seen some small colorful wrasses.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The bigger the tank, the easier for the most part. Plus gives you more fish and coral options. You will need good lighting for coral
Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

what types of light balb would you suggest? i think i am going to do soft corals. i heard they are easiest.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

LED's are recommended by most. Not sure on any othhers, I'm still a noob at SW tanks
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bigger tank is always better as it allows for more room for error. However... You can have a very successful and beautiful tank with just a simple 10,20,30 gallon build. I have a bio cube 29 an its over a year now and it's been a pleasure and a breeze TBO. Just keep up on your weekly water changes.

Take what I like to call a "daily tank inspection" check pumps,lights,salinity,temp, check your live stock and inverts. Clean glass daily also.

Just a few things that come to mind.

Don't worry or buy into all the hype with all these products most are NOT needed. Ask questions. Ask ALOT of questions and DO NOT rush anything!

Know what you want fish wise and coral wise then build off that.

We are all here to help so ask away.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's some good reads also check this forums own article section for helpful information.

http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online...ner-guide.html

http://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

There's a ton of this helpful videos from BRS

http://youtu.be/UwRvd5kS4wY

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

THANKS,

i heard that after you have your pumps setup and all of the other equiptment that you have add a hogfish. and let him swim around for a few days or a week before you add any other fish. is this true? if it is how long do you have to wait before adding any other fish?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com