Starting a saltwater tank HELP ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyboyrav

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm starting a saltwater tank I have a 37gal tank. Top Fin Power Filter 40 with Cartridge
30" Fluorescent Light with Bulb
Glass Canopy
Adjustable 200 Watt Heater
Strip Thermometer

How do I get started? What else do I need? I'm new to saltwater, but I've been doing freshwater for the past 15 years. Time for a change.

I would ditch the filter and get yourself a couple of power heads and a decent protein skimmer. A refractometer is more accurate for testing salinity as well as a test kit for salt water. Then there is sand and rocks. Do plenty of research, that's the best advice! I bought a book, there is plenty out there. A good reference book for how to set up and maintain a saltwater tank will be invaluable. It's very different to freshwater. I believe more time consuming and expensive so so rewarding! What sort of set up were you thinking? Fish only? Or full reef?

IMO in a 37 gallon tank after live rock, sand your water displacement will be more so your true in tank water won't be a true 37 gallon. If your religious with your weekly water changes you don't really need a skimmer. (Again this is my opinion)

You can use the filter BUT I suggest a AC70 or even the AC110. 2 power heads or if money isn't an issue a Vortech MP10.

I agree the refractometer is a must. It's more accurate. Your going to want a saltwater test kit also.

Your going to want to upgrade your lighting also. t5 HO's or LED's

What are your plans for the tank?

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/setting-up-your-saltwater-aquarium/

http://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterAquariumSetup.htm

Last edited:
I agree with convict. I don't use a skimmer on my 36 gallon. Just 2 powerheads and a hob filter rated at 225gph and weekly water changes

Also a refractometer is a must. I bought a instant ocean hydrometer and it was incorrect bought a refractometer off Ebay for about $23 and it works great and a lot more accurate

Also are you planning on fish only (FOWLR) or a reef tank? If fish only lighting isn't as much an issue

Sounds good. I was thinking of a few corals, live rock as well. I want something quiet cause I live in a condo. Are the protein skimmers quiet?

Sounds good. I was thinking of a few corals, live rock as well. I want something quiet cause I live in a condo. Are the protein skimmers quiet?

If you are wanting coral then you will have to upgrade the lighting. As for the skimmer I don't know. I have a, used one that was extremely loud because the pump wasn't the original pump so I didn't use it. I don't think they are usually too loud though

Back
Top Bottom