Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Starting a Sump

I have decided that I want to start a sump to help keep a more stable enviroment for my fish and to get all of the equipment out of the main tank. I have a 10 gal tank at the moment and was thinking about doing a 10 gal sump. So what do I need to do a 10 gal sump and how do I do it?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Let me guess. You drive a Honda, right??? I slept at Holiday Inn.

Not sure if I can help you, but you're probably gonna need an overflox bow or have to drill a hole in the back of the tank for the water line to the sump. The a pump returns the water from the sump back into the main - assuming the sump is situated lower than the main tank. Check our/google on aquarium overflow boxes.

I'm sure one of these smarter folks will be along to help, but you sure you don't want to just get a new 20g and use the existing 10g for the sump?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

accorddude

there are plans online hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction there

I would recommend doing your own so that you get it the way you want it

the acrylic you can buy at Home Depot is easy to cut and would make great dividers if you buy an acrylic sump you can drill yourself then you would just need an overflow box
Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would get a bigger tank but the biggest tank we are allowed is 10gal. I asked and I can have two 10 gal tanks but I can not have a 20. Go figure....

Tags
starting, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com