Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting a SW/Reef aquarium

I have three FW tanks.....if/when I start a salt water tank, is there any reason I might not want to use water from these established tanks to start a salt water tank without cycling from square #1?

CH

Old 06-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. It's different bacteria altogether and I'm afraid it won't work.

If you can get fully cured live rock, you may not have to cycle at all. Otherwise, you can fishless cycle using raw shrimp or pure ammonia. If you have uncured live rock, the die-off will start the cycle for you. Also, assuming you use tap water in your FW tanks, it is better to use RO or RO/DI water for SW tanks.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
and the bacteria's don't live in the water column, they live on surfaces.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
and the bacteria's don't live in the water column, they live on surfaces.
Right on the money here. The bacteria will live on LR, glass wall and equipment surfaces . Not in the water. You`ll need to cycle your tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So the water is really just a carrier to create the bacteria on various surfaces which provides the lifecycle needs of plant and animal life within the aquarium...........and the addition of salt is what makes the different bacteria grow?

I was thinking that I'd use the PWC water from established FW tanks to charge a 70g tank, then add the medium to change the environment to SW. Guess I won't go that route. It makes sense that fresh and salt water won't support the same bacteria. { I wonder if that is the reason for adding salt to fight ick.....}

I've been tempted to purchase an RO device to deal with my hard water. Perhaps I should make that investment which would serve both FW and SW aquaria.

I'm reading all I can and trying to understand this SW program. I've got a lot to learn.....

Thanks

CH
Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamhorses
So the water is really just a carrier to create the bacteria on various surfaces which provides the lifecycle needs of plant and animal life within the aquarium...........and the addition of salt is what makes the different bacteria grow?
The water will have a very small amount of the beneficial bacteria. As stated above, the bacteria will grow on/in your LR, substrate, and many other surfaces like some filter media and sponges. SW and FW have their own specific types of bacteria. The ammonia source is what helps to feed the beneficial bacteria. The ammonia will produce nitrItes that are consumed by nitrAtes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamhorses
I wonder if that is the reason for adding salt to fight ick
That and raise the temp (in FW) that won't work in SW. There are folks that will do a FW dip to attempt to remove parasites on SW fish. I have read this process can be harder on the fish and QT with a lower salinity with proper treatment is a better solution.
Your best bet would be a complete RO/DI unit.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

This explains it a little more.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/dw/index.php

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Been reading here and other sites......Yes, an RO/DI unit large enough to handle both my FW and future SW tanks is where my next 'play money' will go. My practial side would say: "What play money' ......did I say wife?

I'll more than likely going tp start a SW environment in a dormant 70g tank. Love the idea of a bearbottom tank, but have to read more on this and other basic stuff first.

One of local lfs's has three SW set up's with various marine life. One of the employees said....."Oh just get your tank set up, and in a week or so , come back and try a few of these little fish.

I'll keep reading and listening.

CH
Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
One of local lfs's has three SW set up's with various marine life. One of the employees said....."Oh just get your tank set up, and in a week or so , come back and try a few of these little fish.
I suggest you do not take any more advice from tht LFS. As you are learning, setting up a SW takes time, patience and money. Keep reading and researching like you are doing now. Check out our "Articles" section at the top of the page for great info on using a fishless cycle.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Lando

No no I've been burned too many times....and I don't understand why these folks @ the stores [sometimes they are the owners who should know better] talk like the light's on, but nobody's home!! I'll listen, but I will check stuff out here @ AA et el, and make my own decisions based on experience and common sense.

My fishless cycle will commence with store bought shrimp in an open baggie, so I don't have to watch bits 'n pieces floating around the tank.

Anyone have experience with the bare bottom tanks?

CH

Tags
reef, reef aquarium, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com