Starting again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalie098

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey there,

I am starting up a reef tank again after moving a couple of years ago. I had a 55g reef for a few years then divorce and moving...blah,blah, blah. Been lurking for a while here reading and after changing my mind a few times as to the design I may be ready to go. I appreciate all the info you folks share.

Anyway here are my questions. this time I am using a 52g flat back hex tank and will have a small sump 10g (all i can get in the stand) where the heater and skimmer will be. I have been looking at this for an overflow:

http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=5

700gph to the sump and then using a mag drive 7 for the return. I am going to split the return to two areas in the tank with a couple of discharges on each (one low and one about halfway down) to direct the flow.

Do you think this will be enough/too much flow? will the skimmer be effective in a 10g sump at that rate?

Thanks

Mike

I'm not sure a 10G sump would be large enough to handle all that flow, not to mention, there would not be enough time for the heater to heat the water before it is pumped back into the tank.....just my thoughts, but there are many other folks that will have better advice.

Welcome to the site!

I agree with Scott. The 10g just isn't going to handle that kind of flow. If you could get a 20g tall you may be better off.

Welcome to AA!

I think that will work fine. I had my 50g reef setup for well over 15 yrs and it only had a 10g sump. I used a QuietOne 3000 pump @780 gph, minus head loss.

I up-sized a bit on sump to a 15 gallon high. I only have 11 1/2 inches wide in the cabinet. I ordered an overflow from www.glass-holes.com (very helpful folks) last week and will be installing it tonight hopefully. Hope to have water and LR in this weekend and start cycling. Gonna make a small stand for the skimmer. I am thinking an Aqua C Urchin. Last time I had a reef I used a Seaclone I modded the crap out of. Never really worked consistently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom