Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting an Under 100 Gal Bowfront Fowler, few ?'s

Hello everyone, Just wanted to say that I love the website. Tons of Info.
This will be my first fish tank and I am wondering if I am missing anything from my to get list. I havn't picked up the tank yet, havn't found one I like. But I started buying the accessories. On the list is a six stage ro/di unit, 2 canister filters (dunno brand yet), heater, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, white sand (hard time finding some in this area), live rock (I want to go minimal w/ these), test kit, salt, power heads, various accessories, etc.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

I want to go minimal with the live rock because I want to see the fish more often than not. Thats why I am buying 2 canister filters. If my logic as all screwed up, let me know. I don't want to set up a sump for this tank. In the future I will do a bigger tank and do a sump with that one. I need this tank this small because of where its going.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Angel93PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Skip the cannister filters and UV sterilizer. The live rock provides a complete nitrogen cycle. When it's complete, the nitrates will be converted to harmless gasses. The cannister will leave you with nitrates.

What size tank is it?

LittlePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Since you are not going to have a sump, you can have a HOB or a filter canister. Canister's work well, but you will need to keep up with the maintenance on them as they will accumulate nitrates over time. The more LR the better. You can even do half LR and half baserock. This will help with the majority of your filtration in the system. Then, if you upgrade your tank later, you can throw that in there as well.
Right now, I have 200# of LR/base rock in my tank, along with 40# of reef rubble in my sump to allow ultimate filtration naturally. Most people would on this site would agree that LR is key to better survival in captivity. HTH

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Definitely don't skimp on the live rock. This is the base for a well established biological cycle which will help you in every aspect of your tanks life.

As you don't state the size of your tank you just put it as an under 100g tank (which is a fairly big tank) I would recommend a sump for a 50g and above.

Don't use canisters, as people stated before, they will accumulate nitrates. Add to the fact that you don't want much LR, I would suggest to try something different (a HOB CPR system maybe).

Good luck on your new setup.
Homero Cuellar
hcuellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So skip the canister filters. I thought that canister filters were better then HOB filters.

Why forget the UV sterilizer? I thought that they help in keeping the water clear? Thats what I am looking for. Something to help keep the water clear...not greenish...you know?

I will try to put as much LR as possible, but I don't want it to look crowded.

I will do a search on a HOB CPR system and do some reading.

Thank you

Angel93PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Why forget the UV sterilizer
UV's are nice, just not something you need to get strted.
I agree, that a sump would be a big plus with a system that big.
Get it going, you can always add stuff like a UV later.
Rock, rock and more LR.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

bowfront, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com