Starting chemicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
The LFS gave me a free bottle of Bio-Start (??? or something simular) to get the tank going. The bottle says that it can be fish ready immediately. Has anyone tried these? Do they help? Do they work?

I'm not looking for short cuts and don't mind going through the cycle period just wondering if the chems work?

Steve

Sometimes they work, but if they work it's because of the live bacteria, which could be dead of exposure to extreme temperatures or the product is too old or expired which would render them useless.

Edit: If I was gonna try it I think I'd use it to jump start a fishless cycle, so if it doesn't work, you've not really lost anything. If it does work, it will cycle the ammonia and nitrites quickly and you can add fish, will have taken a couple extra days but you won't be risking the fish.

Use it but assume it didn't help. Monitor your ammonia and nitrite as usual and if things go faster than they would normally then great, otherwise run things like normal.

Speaking of testing I have a freshwater test kit. Is testing for nitrites, ammonia etc. The same or do I need a kit specifically for marine?

Thanks Steve

If this is going to be a saltwater tank, you'll need different tests. A few of the tests work in both fresh and salt - but many of them require different drops to work with saltwater.

It should say on the box whether it is freshwater or freshwater and saltwater.

I would not use it. All you need is an ammonia source and your pre mixed SW. Chemicals not needed.

Back
Top Bottom