Starting Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vicjhonny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my tank Sunday and i put ready sand and bought prepared salt water from my local Pet Store.. i have a 400 power head and a protein skimmer rated for at least 100 gallons. My question is how long does it take for it to clear up in my tank, do i leave the skimmer and power head on or do i just turn them off till it clears.thanks my tank size 65 gallons

I presume the clearing up is due to the sand dust settling. Didja use dry sand you rinsed very well? Got any rock in there yet?

Most importantly, how are you cycling?

Look in our articles section for Fishless cycling. that'll give you some ideas to crosscheck your plan against.

Welcome to AA!

I spent a year in Austin back in 1989. Loved that place. Guess you can tell by my username, huh? What part ya hailin' from?

i got a couple of live rocks in here and no i dint read the directions and dint rinse the sand. i wish i would of... and i dont know if i waste the carbon on my aqua clear 70 if i started it.

station in abilene tx , but lived in austin as well back in 96-99
were you at now

As Ray said make sure you read our article on cycling your tank. Also moving this to the getting started forum.

Last edited:
same here.

I did the same mistakes and I waited 3 days for my tank to clear its a 180 gallon and i added 200 lbs of live sand and boy was i mad. u can turn everyting off the dust will get all in the impellers make sure you take out he powerheads and rinse them out I'm at the end of week 2 and boy there sure is alot of brown algea kinda cool. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom