Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting first cycle need help

Just started my first saltwater tank has 4 pounds of live rock and around 5.5 pounds of dry rock and started my cycle last night around 7 PM tossed in a shrimp and checked my water right before with a Ph of 8.2 and Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at 0 and my salinity at 1.025,I checked my water today at 4 PM with a jump in ammonia and can see some nitrites rising, but my Ph has dropped, is this a "normal" part of the cycle? How is my cycle going so far? I've been reading as much as i can but would appreciate any input given, Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	226263   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	226264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	226265   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	226266  

Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey man I'm new to this as well I'm a week in on my cycle and I had the same thing and asked the same question. Everybody told me don't worry about the ph until the cycles over. I've been testing once a day and haven't tested the ph since the first day after somebody told me that.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ph levels can swing a little at different times of the day...off the top of my head I can't remember why, but as long as it's not a big swing in numbers you'll be fine
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you only running white light? Why is your water level so low?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
Are you only running white light? Why is your water level so low?
Yea but i will be buying new bulbs before i get any stock, and water is a bit low so the filter can agitate the water more and get more flow as the powerhead im using isnt that good and needs to be replaced before i stock but should be fine while the tank cycles
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright that makes a lot more sense!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #7

Its the third day of the cycle and i tested showing 8.0ppm of ammonia, 1.0ppm of nitrites and 20ppm of Nitrates. Should i leave the Shrimp in? This cycle seems to be going preety quick!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Up to you really. When I cycled my 30g I just left the shrimp in until the cycle was complete, I have read that others have taken the shrimp out though.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't worry about your pH while the cycle is going on. Just turn the lights off and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels. With the shrimp method, once your ammonia and nitrite hit 0, do a water change to get your nitrate levels down and remove the shrimp. See how your pH is then.
Too be honest, pH is something that people really end up getting worked up about and start using chemicals to chase 'the perfect pH' level. I fell into the same trap on my first tank here several years ago. Just because it is saltwater your pH level won't go outside of a certain level unless you cause it too with adding chemicals. As long as you keep up with your water changes, take things slowly, and act in a calm manner towards anything that happens in your tank you'll be fine. The pH in my tank almost always reads 7, it shouldn't, but there it is. I can't explain it at all, but I'm able to run a successful mixed reef on it. When I was chasing the pH level, my coral suffered and it showed.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Don't worry about your pH while the cycle is going on. Just turn the lights off and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels. With the shrimp method, once your ammonia and nitrite hit 0, do a water change to get your nitrate levels down and remove the shrimp. See how your pH is then.
Too be honest, pH is something that people really end up getting worked up about and start using chemicals to chase 'the perfect pH' level. I fell into the same trap on my first tank here several years ago. Just because it is saltwater your pH level won't go outside of a certain level unless you cause it too with adding chemicals. As long as you keep up with your water changes, take things slowly, and act in a calm manner towards anything that happens in your tank you'll be fine. The pH in my tank almost always reads 7, it shouldn't, but there it is. I can't explain it at all, but I'm able to run a successful mixed reef on it. When I was chasing the pH level, my coral suffered and it showed.

+1 on everything. Especially the ph part, just let it be where it's going be. I have never tested the ph in 3 of my 5 systems, and in the other 2 it's been probably 5 years since I checked

Tags
cycle, star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com