Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting first Saltwater Tank

Hello,

My name is Lindsay and I'm thinking about starting a saltwater aquarium at my office. I have been in the aquarium hobby for over a decade, but I only have experience with freshwater.

I'm writing to get advice on a certain product. Does anyone own aMarineland Instant Ocean Saltwater Aquarium Kit? The one I'm looking at the 12 gallon acrylic system. I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has had any good/negative experiences with this set up. It seems to come with everything you need except substrate, and people have noted that the lighting conditions and water flow do not support corals. (But that's ok for me).

By the way, thanks for the plentitude of good articles. If this seems like a good way to start a marine tank, I'm gonna go out and buy it!!

TIA,

Lindsay

Old 02-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

It's ok for QT (quarantine) tank but not much else. It is cheaply made (IMO) and somewhat flimsy. The light went out in mine twice (under warranty) and they shipped me a new hood each time. It's broken again so I don'tr even use this for QT anymore. I've heard better opinions of the Nano Cube

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow, that's too bad. Thanks for the link. I'll check out the nano cubes!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I've got the nano cube he linked you to and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Had the tank running for a couple month now with no problem. If you want to do coral just make sure you buy one with appropriate lighting for the corals you want since you can't really upgrade the lights down the road the way you can on a normal tank.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
Oceanic BioCubes are also very nice. I have a 14G and things have been going great. Your initial cost will most likely be more than you bargained for but it's worth it in the end.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Or you can piece-mail it yourself:

20g
HOB filter (I like Aquaclear 110)
Lighting (Aqualight: 2x65w or T5's)
LR
Sand
Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tend to agree with Innovator on this. If you piece it together yourself you will have more options for lighting and other equipment plus you could probably save a lot of money.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Normally, I'd agree with Ziggy about piecing together a unit. You usually get better quality being able to pick and choose your equipment. But if you're getting this for an office environment, those all-in-one self-contained biocubes would be pretty nice. Everything in one compact and neat package and no worry about dealing with hang-on back equipment.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

After I posted that I was going to go back and edit to say pretty much the same thing you just said Kurt. The all-in-ones do have a nice clean look especially for an office.

It all boils down to personal likes and dislikes. If I was putting a small tank in an office I would buy the Oceanic Biocube.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com