Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting for the second time

Hey guys, I am not really new to SW fish so I know the basics and have a bout a year of experience. Unfortunately I had a heater malfunction (heated to 106F) and everything was lost. That happened a while ago (december) and I just drained the tank for a few months due to little money and not much time to restart it all. Now I got restarted beginning of the summer. My tank is now cycled, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate ( i hate judging nitrate colors). This I know means I am cycled and good to go. However I have a dilema, I am moving back to school on August 29th. My main question is should I get fish now and have them travel after barely being used to a new environment? or should I wait till I establish my tank at school? The one disadvantage to waiting is my main LFS is 5 hours from school. Meaning the fish would travel 5 hours from LFS to new tank.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a hard one, but I would probably wait until after the move to get fish. I'd set the tank up, check parms until everything is stable. With the move you will be busy, waiting til after you move and get settled in will give you more time to focus on your aquarium and the fish you want. You've waited this long, what's another couple weeks and a five hour drive!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That was my thought too originally, however last time I made the trip they were fine and I wasn't sure what the best course of action would be. Especially because if I get them from the LFS and tell them to pack them for 5 hours its still not gonna be as much space as if I would transport them like last time (5gal bins, One for rocks and one for creatures) Any other opinions are welcome as well. I wanna see what everyone thinks.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a local store in your college town. I moved a saltwater tank several times while in college with no problems. But, I would probably wait and get it settled before getting fish.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com