starting from scratch...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Criptix - liveaquaria is a good resource for just about everything saltwater. That rule of thumb for number of fish goes by inches (adult size) per gallon, not fish per gallon. Keep in mind that if you have a 50g tank with live rock, you don't really have 50 gallons of water in there, so calculate accordingly. :)
Worse comes to worse, put a list of fish you are planning to get on here and you will get good feedback.
This post brought up a question I was not sure how to ask.After my second fatality,I decided to dismantle my 10 gal and start from scratch so I did some looking some,some pricing and some deciding.I have decided on a 36 gal tank,150 watt heater,406 Fluval external filter,Tukani live rock and black and white bio natural sand.
I have two questions,one I was thinking 30 lbs of the live rock but as TheTodd stated"you have to keep in mind the that if you have a 50g tank with live rock, you don't really have 50 gallons of water in there, so calculate accordingly. :) "I would like to have 3 fish, a Domino Damsel and two colorful tank mates.So I am thinking I don't want 30 lbs of live rock,right?So how much live rock and sand(I have read a lbs per gal) should I put in my tank if I want at least 3 fish?
The second is about my sand choice,I was thinking that mixing whites black sand would make for a cool looking sand bed,but would it?Is it possible to mix different kinds of sand(same brand) and be able to have layers of contrast or would it all just mix together?
I guess I have a third question,I would like to be able to post updates on my progress and questions and have them together.How do I do that?
It looks like it will be a long process,I added up the cost and its about $900.It looks like it is going to be a tax return purchase + what I can save.I don't shop Ebay,to many bad experiences so its a combo of Petsmart,Amazon and an oneline store I can't think of the name right now.I did alot of price comparisons and that's what I came up with.Now if I can convince my hubby that I will need the 10 gal as a quarantine tank...

Attachments

• tukani live rock.jpg
    tukani live rock.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Bio-Black-Beach2.jpg
    Bio-Black-Beach2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Bio-Nat-White-1.jpg
    Bio-Nat-White-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 46
I almost forgot,I was going to use natural seawater instead of salt mix.what are your opinions on using the natural bottled seawater?I know that even though it says" just add fish I should still cycle the tank but is it really better for the fish?

No on the 30lbs of live rock! Also try Craigslist for stuff.. That's what I do. I wouldn't mix the sand.. If you are going to cycle the tank with a fish, cycle it with a damsel & wait to add more fish until your cycle is complete.

Well depends in the other 2 fish you want. You also gotta remember live rock is your main Filtration source... So you probably want at least 45 lbs of rock in a 50.
30 would probably work if your never wanting to do coral.
I prefer to do more than the recommended LR because you have better filtration and more hiding spots to keep fish less stressed.

The tank I am looking at is 36 gals:)After loosing 2 damsels I don't know if I want to cycle with fish or not the jury is still out on that.I have read posts on here about having more than one damsel in a tank so I was thinking a Domino and a yellow tail or a blue Damsel but again is that wise with a 36 gal tank?

Damsels are aggressive. If you are doing three in a tank and do not plan on putting other fish in, that may work. Years ago, i had three in a tank, but it was a 75g. they did okay with other fish, but i think i was lucky. not positive about three in a smaller tank. If you want other fish, I would not do a damsel.

30lbs of live rock should work for a 36g tank. To cut costs, remember that you can buy a little live rock and then do the rest base rock and it will eventually become "live".

I'd do a fish less cycle. Damsels can survive the parameters fluctuations and spike, but it is basically subjecting them to bad conditions. To me, just because they can survive does not mean its a great way to do it.

I agree with Todd. A lot of people when they get further into their saltwater aquarium experience change their views on cycling and usually towards a fishless cycle!

It's great setting up a new tank but definately make sure you make the right decisions because most of the time people let exitement get the better of them.

I have my heart set on damsels.I think a fishless cycle will be my choice as well.I am trying not to let the excitement of it all get me to make another hasty decision...

Have you thought about maybe like 4 damsels? 2 species, mated pairs? Idk for sure that'd work.

Damsels are really aggressive even with other fish.. I got a damsel to cycle my tank with.. Then I got my blue powder tang, clownfish & a sailfin tang & the damsel would chase them & flair up at them. So I through her in the sump until I can find a new home for her. If you want other types of fish I would be careful with a damsel.

Back
Top Bottom