starting from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jud cook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys im looking to change my 6x2x2 tropical tank into a live rock and sand aquarium :) I have no room for a sump in the unit below so if anybody could help with what lighting filtration weights of sand and rock skimmers etc iwould be very greatfull.I am a complete novice so a complete break down of what to buy will be great.many thanks guys
Jud

You could run an HOB filter. If you just plan on a FOWLR setup, you probably can get away without skimming.

You can order base rock, which will be far cheaper than buying all live rock for the tank. With time, it will become live rock. If you want to seed it with some live rock from a trusted source to get some life on the rock, you can go that route.

I really like the base rock from reefrocks.net. It is a good price, and really nice looking rock. I did this when I started my 57 gallon - I added 50 lbs of base rock, and then bought 5-10 pounds of live rock from the LFS. Now, 10 months later, all of the rock looks like live rock.

Original setup (you can see the only Live Rock I added on the top right and middle left):
19738-albums9044-picture34934.jpg

Recent pic:
19738-albums9044-picture50091.jpg

You could run an HOB filter. If you just plan on a FOWLR setup, you probably can get away without skimming.

You can order base rock, which will be far cheaper than buying all live rock for the tank. With time, it will become live rock. If you want to seed it with some live rock from a trusted source to get some life on the rock, you can go that route.

I really like the base rock from reefrocks.net. It is a good price, and really nice looking rock. I did this when I started my 57 gallon - I added 50 lbs of base rock, and then bought 5-10 pounds of live rock from the LFS. Now, 10 months later, all of the rock looks like live rock.

Original setup (you can see the only Live Rock I added on the top right and middle left):
19738-albums9044-picture34934.jpg

Recent pic:
19738-albums9044-picture50091.jpg

Gorgeous tank transformation!!

I started in on salt from being a freshy last year with my puffer. This is just a suggestion based on my experience over the past year and having a FOWLR for my puff and a nano reef in my room.:)

Sand is best kept at an inch and a half, you will have enough sand for worms, sifting stars etc, but not so much sand that you have to worry about deep sand bed problems and weekly sand filtering.

I think that the recommendation for rock is a pound to a 1 1/2lbs per gallon, though it's almost become personal preference, especially if you're just going FOWLR.

Lighting needs are based around what types of corals or macroalgaes you are interested in, though I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 50/50 actinic/ daylight (6750K)to start yourself off with, especially if your rock isn't cultured. 8-12 hours a day, depends on who you ask.

I am a fan of using HOB filters with polyfiber and cultured live rock rubble (2 or more of them) to both filter and move water, circulation is filtration with cultured live rock- remember to direct the flow of any circulator you may use directly at your most cultured piece of lr if you want to see some miracle filtration :) I am an aquaclear 70 fan (for HOB) and suggest at least 3X filtration necessary.

ALWAYS use ro/di (distilled) water or the boxed Real Ocean... I used marine conditioner and tap water on my tanks before, didn't think anything of it- NEVER could get my water parameters perfect. Switched to boxed water and daily changes finally got trAtes down to 2, hair algae, brown algae and cyano had been a constant problem. Before I set up my BC I treated my live rocks in my 10g with snails, pristine water and proper lighting and my algae woes were gone within a few days :brows:

I hope my personal experience can help a little(y)

Back
Top Bottom