Starting from the Beginning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fiji. The Fiji tend to be more porous (at least has more surface area) while the tonga tends to be more flat and solid (but great for making shelves).

Last edited:
For a new aquarium, what is the ratio for base rock to LR you can get away with, and how long does it take base rock to become LR?

I wouldn't go much beyond 75% base and 25% LR just to insure you get enough critters with the LR. It will become LR (biologically active) during the cycle period. It will color up over a period of months depending on lighting, flow, how much coraline you start with, levels of calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, etc.

Just remember, there will be some die-off from the shipping.

He has specials:
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]News and New Products
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Tonga Branch rock
(very limited as Tonga is once
again banned from import)

New Florida Base rock
(a great choice as a price offset when large amounts of rock are needed or as a stand alone for some good ole basic rock)

"MarcoRocks" pre order
(It's that time again our next Fiji ship is due in the beginning of August. These shipments sell out fast get your pre order in now)

For more info on any of these please see links on the right or visit us at:
Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]As always we are working hard to make MarcoRocks prices, products and service the best Value out there.
Please feel free to contact me directly
with any questions comments or requests
Sincerely,

Marc
Marco Rocks

508 896 3722
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Tonga Branch
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Now Available by box or
Cherry Pick

Box Price
$159

Learn More
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]*NEW*
Florida Rock
Just $1.09/Lb
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Available in box or by the LB
Large QTY and Wholesale

$49.99
45# box

Learn More
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"Marco Rocks"
25#
Pre Order
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Our Signature
Fiji Rock

Pre order
special Price:

$67.
List Price:
$71.00

Learn More
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"Marco Rocks"
50#
Pre Order
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Our Signature
Fiji Rock

Pre order
special Price:
$129.
List Price:
$134.

Learn More
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Yeah, I am leaning towards using that online vendor, I just don't know if I want to wait until the end of August to get started :(

I went to the LFS and checked out their base rock offered. They had some good looking rock, but it was antique coral rock from Utah as opposed to from the current sea floor. It was also cheap. Is there any problem with using this non marine (at least for the last couple million years) in an aquarium? Anything I should be aware of if I go that route.

Also, I was looking at their cured LR and noticed there didn't seem to be any coroline algea on them at all, is this normal?

we got a 50lb box of base rock from www.petsolutions.com . I was impressed with the low shipping, and the rock that arrived was pretty diverse in size/shape. All of our live rock has come from lfs.

So, I fired up the new RO/DI (Mako 5 stage), and the supply connection wouldn't mate with the kitchen faucet. I figured a "faucet mount" would do just that, but after checking every possible supply source in my house (to include the water connections under the sink and outside) it mated with no a single onw. Awesome "faucet mount" :rolleyes:

I now have all the hardware except for the lights, which will be ordered on the 1st. Hopefully I can get all the plumbing and whatnot done this weekend

Back
Top Bottom