Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, I made the leap during my lunch break today and bought a tank, stand, and overflow for $550.

Now that the die is cast I can stop worrying about the finances so much, I am actually excited. Three weeks before all that gets here, and much more to buy in the mean time!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

The sump is fed by gravity from the tank overflow (either a drilled bottom, back or a hang on overflow box). The amount of water flowing from the tank to the sump is determined by the size of the hole and pipe. The protein skimmer is fed by a pump (usually a submersible in the sump, but it doesn't have to be). The outflow from the PS is usually a large open section of pvc for an in-sump PS, or another piece of pvc from the PS back to the sump. A refugium can be a seperate container or just a section of the sump where you add macro algae. The return pump is in the last section of the sup (usually, but some have it in the middle). The return pump must be sized to the flow rate of the overflow. If you have a 1" overflow then it is capable of feeding 600 gph to your sump. You want a return pump that will produce 600 gph or LESS at the head height of the return pipe outflow.

I know, clear as mud....

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

That was very helpful, and jives with everything I have been reading.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

So the tank and stand are at the LFS, now I just have to find a way to get it here! Two weeks early too, I haven't even purchased the rest of the gear yet!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take your time on getting everything. You already have the big parts(tank/stank). Just keep doing more reading and asking specific questions about different parts and you will save $$$ and have better stuff(the stuff you really want, just dont know it yet because of the learning curve)
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

At the very least I have to wait another pay day to get anything else major (I am paying for this out of my "fun" money, no touching the savings for a hobby!), which is why I didn't mind waiting for my tank.

Now I will be staring at it all excited, with nothing to do with it
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have a RODI unit, or are planning on getting one to fill your tank?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

That and my sump/refugium are my next buys, followed after than by my skimmer and return pump
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, I finally got the stand and aquarium to my house! It looks a lot bigger sitting there than when I measured everything out, but I am happy with it. It is very deep (width 18") tank, I should be able to creat some great aquascaping.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question...

For the a 65g tank, how much glow from the in tank powerheads do I want current wise. My LFS recommeneded to Koralia Centrrfugal Pumps for the tank itself, each with 850gph. I know the rule of thumb for cirgulation through the sump/refugium is 10-15 times the tank size, but what about just in tank currents?

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com