Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Around 20 times turnover is a great start but ad stock is added and tank matures adding more would help. Its not heard of to have as much as 40 or more turnover rate. You want to get it from 2 or more powerheads.
Your 65 times 20 turnover equals 1300 gph from 2 atleast 650 gph. But this alone isnt enough. Its there placement , you want them pushing flow from the bottom up to reduce uneatin food and fish waste. Then you want loose rockwork for flow to get around reduce any low flow or no flow areas.
Good flow means better O2 levels and PH levels amoung other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
Question...

For the a 65g tank, how much glow from the in tank powerheads do I want current wise. My LFS recommeneded to Koralia Centrrfugal Pumps for the tank itself, each with 850gph. I know the rule of thumb for cirgulation through the sump/refugium is 10-15 times the tank size, but what about just in tank currents?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the reply lance. I just ordered two Koralia 3 powerheads at 850gph each and will have a Mag 5 return pump pushing 500gph for a total 2200gph flow, or 34x the tank size. I think that will work nicely!

I did fing one discrepency though. My LFS recomemded to me Mag Drive 9.5 which pushes 950gph. Now, I only have a 1" overflow so that seems ecessive, is there a reason he recomended this and did I under estimate my return pump requirements?

Now onto my next question (there is always a next question ). This is the RO/DI I am looking at, what do you all think?

AQUAFx Mako RO/DI System

* High efficiency 1-micron sediment pre-filter
* 2-micron chlorine guzzler carbon block pre-filter or our exclusive chlorine and chloramine-removal filters
* High flow / high rejection TFC membrane
* High-efficiency color-changing DI cartridge
* 160 PSI pressure gauge marked with operating and unsafe ranges
* In-Line TDS meter
* Solid Aluminum "no-rust" metal mounting bracket
* Clear 10" filter cartridge housings.
* All systems include quick connect fittings, a shut off valve, a filter wrench for easy cartridge replacement * your choice of a feed adaptor.
* INCLUDES AUTO SHUT-OFF VALVE

AQUAFx Mako RO/DI System* - AquaCave

I am looking online now to see if I can find this model used (assuming nobody here suggests a better one). This is actually a double buy for me as I live in Charleston, SC and we are very hurricane prone (though we have been lucky for awhile) and this will reside in my hurricane locker when not being used for the aquarium.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I got my RO/DI off of ebay for around $100 and love it. I have the 100GPD, but is has been suggested the 75 GPD is a more effecient unit.

Check here:
RO DI, Home Garden, wii items on eBay.com

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of fitting do I need to operate it from my kitchen sink? It gives me the option of in-line sink, faucet, hose bib or self piercing. I'd imagine it would be faucet, but I want no suprises!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's a good questions. Mine is the self piercing, which is attached directly to the inbound cold water line. You may want to call the seller and find out the differences.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
What kind of fitting do I need to operate it from my kitchen sink? It gives me the option of in-line sink, faucet, hose bib or self piercing. I'd imagine it would be faucet, but I want no suprises!
Don't forget... these things operate on a gallon per DAY basis. They process water at a very sloooooooow rate. Hooking it up at the faucet would imply your faucet would be tied up all during that time.

Personally, I'd steer towards the hose bib and then just install a T in your cold water line somewhere with a shut off. That way you can leave it hooked up and not disturb your faucet use.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

The facet use wouldn't be too big a deal, I would rather deal with that then reworking my plumbing! I could always put a Y fitting on my faucet I suppose.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I connect mine to the kitchen faucet and yes when I make up 45 gallons for the top tank and 20-25 gallons for a pwc it runs for more than 24 hours.

The Mag9.5 drops to 850gph at 3' head height and 800 gph at 4' HH and 750 @ 5'.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The Mag9.5 drops to 850gph at 3' head height and 800 gph at 4' HH and 750 @ 5'.
Ah, then I may have lowballed my need then. The Mag 5 is only 500gph, and it will have to pump water at least four feet. I might have to return it when it comes in and upgrade

I just ordered:

RO/DI unit
Refractometer
Tank Thermometer (digital)
Tank Heater

I am getting there, though I priced out LR at my LFS today and it was not good. $7.00 a pount, and I guess I need 130ish pounds!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

The Mag5 drops to 380gph @ 3'; 310 @ 4' and 250 @5'

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com