Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting from the Beginning.

First Post, and first SW aquarium.

So, to really start from the beginning I have two basic questions.

1.) Where can I get a decent quality stand furniture wise. I have been to the three aquarium shops in the city and they don't offer anything I can use. I want my aquarium to look as natural in my living room as I want my fist to look in the aquarium That being said, I hae a contempory decore but everywhere I go online wants 2-3K for just an enclosure! Do you guys know of any vendors with decent prices (1K is what I am looking for max with aquarium).

2.) The above mentioned aquarium shops are, shall I say, unimpressive. One seems to have knowlegdable people passionate about the hobby and a passable inventory, the other two were so horrendous I wanted to buy the few sickly fish they had just to put them out of their missery. This leaves me in the postion of, as a beginner, having to order and do things online for the most part. I have seen sights that actally sell fish/invertes/live rock through the mail, is this really even a plausible way to go about things.

BTW, this is my first SW tank but I have had FW tanks for years, so I am not entirely clueless, just mostly

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can buy fish, inverts, whatever off the internet. there are some good people out there selling good stuff. there is alot you will need besides a tank stand and lid. so dont forget to add that to your total you are willing to spend. you need lights, skimmer, live rack, live sand, some type of filter or sump. a good test kit. anyways i dont know where they sell good looking stands on the net but i know someone on this site will know. what state and city you live in? at my LFS i can get anything custom made.

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

1K is what I have budgeted for the tank and enclosure taking everything else into account. One of the few good things about the patience required for the SW aquariumI guess is that you don't have to buy everything at once, just the physical gear up front and the critters a lot later.

I can get custom enclosures made here but the guys who do it seem sort of shaddy (ie have no examples/pictures of their work, and these were recommended to my by the store guys ). That, and a custom stand might run me over my budget.

I am in Chalreston, SC, btw. I was supprised the local resources were so scarce.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

well at least you have a good budget. what size tank do you want? if you know of any woodshops in your area they can build one for you that would be in your budget i would think.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

You should start with the Articles section then check out the New Tank Setup List thread.

After that read How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish and Quarantine.

Then start posting your questions, thoughts on equipment and stocking etc. the Geting Started forum....

Quarantine
Refugiums
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

also if you are handy and have tools you can build your one stand and lid. that saves money too.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
well at least you have a good budget. what size tank do you want? if you know of any woodshops in your area they can build one for you that would be in your budget i would think.
1K is what I could spend, I would rather not spend that if I don't have to. I am looking at a 75 gallon tank, as everything I have read has said that shoud be big enough to "absorb" a mistake or two but no so large as to be overwhelming.

Quote:
also if you are handy and have tools you can build your one stand and lid. that saves money too.
I am not that handy! Not to sound snobbish but I really want the enclosure and aqarium to blend in with the furnishings of my house, so I am willing to pay a little extra or a proffesional piece. It does sound likeI should give that shop's custom guy a second look though.

Quote:
You should start with the Articles section then check out the New Tank Setup List thread.
None of the articles addressed my question. I am not so much asking how to set up the tank, but rather if anyone knows of/has had a good experiance with a particular vendor (stand/encloure wise).

Those articles are great though :b: I have only read half of them so far but what a wealth of knowledge you guys have here!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
I am not that handy! Not to sound snobbish but I really want the enclosure and aqarium to blend in with the furnishings of my house, so I am willing to pay a little extra or a proffesional piece. It does sound likeI should give that shop's custom guy a second look though.
Generally having someone custom build for you is going to be a premium, you might try someplace like this : Carpenters | Carpentry Contractors

That would at least give you a selection of quotes to look at. Try the cabinet and closet guys, they be more likely to take something like this.

Even if you're not that handy though, aquarium stands are really basic projects. You might be able to pick up something close to what you want and paint, skin or resurface it to look like what you want for cheaper than having it custom made.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want something that blends in with the furnishings in your home, you're most likely going to have to go custom. And going custom, with a person that is familiar with building stands, is going to go over your budget. So you're either looking at getting something that's commercially available that is close to your furniture, or blowing your budget. (Or I suppose you could get new furniture to match the fish stand?! At least you'd stay under budget on the stand!)

I went through the same process you're going through when I started. Ended up with the standard Oceanic "kind of like oak" stand for the 46g bowfront.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

My first post was just addressing that this is your first SW aquarium. I wanted to make sure you were aware of all the items you would need to get started.

I don't know if you checked on BRI Aquatic Cabinets yet, but you may want to ask a couple of lfs' to get price quotes for you (they only sell to the trade). They may be very expensive based on their site. Possibly a more affordable alternative would be AquariumSource.com A 75 with built in centered overflow and Durso type silencer is under $800.00 + shipping. Not sure if that includes everything or not. It might be worth a call to find out.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com