Starting my 55gal reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjamontan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I almost have all that I need to get started. Can you all let me know what I still need. Other than a stand and rock! This is what I have got.
2 - Zoo Med power sweep 228 power heads 540GPH.
Coralife ultraviolet sterilizer 9W.
Saltwater master test kit.
Fluva 405 canister filter.
Marine land magnum 350 canister filter.
Coralife skimer.
300W heater
A box of salt.
Aquarum T5 HO hood.
Natures Ocean live sand 40lb
Natures Ocean substrate 50lb
Ocean Sun 10,000k bulb
Coral Sun Actinic 420 bulb.

I am very excited to get started but still need the stand and rock.
I think that I will be getting Eco Rock from BRS.

Let me know what you all think I should change out or add!

For some reason this application keeps crashing and not allowing me to up load photos I got this one to work. I guess I will try and post the rest later.

ForumRunner_20111012_065526.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111012_065626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111012_065626.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20111012_065655.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111012_065655.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20111012_065750.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111012_065750.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 62
It looks like a good start. Are you going to use a refractometer?

I think that I want to but as of right now I just want to get the stand and rock to start to cycle. But I have got to be patient and not spend to much money at the same time. All of the expenses ant not making the wife all that happy.

Can I start my cycle with the 90 lb of sand and like 30 base rock?

You can start your cycle with whatever you want. It's better to put all the rock in there before the cycle, that way the rock cycles with the tank and it's less work, but you don't have too. It definitely helps to have a few pieces of live rock, but that's not a must either.

I used a piece of raw shrimp when I cycled my tanks. You might need two pieces in a 55g, if you go that route.

After reading all of the other people in this forum about there power heads I am having second thoughts about using the ones that I have. Will they work out for me?

After reading all of the other people in this forum about there power heads I am having second thoughts about using the ones that I have. Will they work out for me?

I've honestly never heard of them. They look like they would take up alot of room in the tank. I have Hydor Koralia powerheads in all my tanks and they work excellent. Wish I could be of more help, sorry.

Thanks, I can't find out much about them online I guess they are new. They claim that by content rotation of tje heads they get better water movement than just spraying in the same direction. I guess I will try and maybe be the person that will be able to educate someone else down the road. Or they can learn from my mistake.

Thanks, I can't find out much about them online I guess they are new. They claim that by content rotation of tje heads they get better water movement than just spraying in the same direction. I guess I will try and maybe be the person that will be able to educate someone else down the road. Or they can learn from my mistake.

Haha...I'm sure they will be fine. Any water movement is better than none at all. And yes, the rotation is better than just a jet stream of flow. Usually pointing two powerheads at each other creates a different type of current that works ok. I'm definitely curious to see how yours work out.

What kind of salt are you using? Also what kind of heater?

Nice let me know how it goes! I may have to turn my 55 into a reef..maybe..

i just started a 46 gallon get a skimmer if your dont already have one. and i just purchased the same model zoo med you have only had it in for about 30hrs so far so good i read a couple of reviews saying there only good for a week but who knows? maybe theres some diamonds in the rough. GLWT

just looked back at the beginning and you have the exact skimmer i have as well. in currently cycling my tank with about 45-48 lbs of live rock and 2 clowns. be patient with the skimmer keep it low the first few days already had 1 over flow incident. it has a weird break in period any review will tell you and the bubbles WILL GO AWAY! if you do exactly what the instructions tell u the exit pipe is important with the hob and sump setup.

That is the same powerhead I had when I started my corner tank. It worked ok but I ended up giving it away and getting a koralia.

I get most of my things used and get better deals along with good advice for what I want my tank to look like. One thing about keeping a fish tank if it looks good your wife will know where you are and what you have been doing.

Looks good - Please DO NOT cycle the tank with LIVE FISH - the fish will be constantly subjected to ammonia poisoning, and most likely die, or minimally will have a very reduced lifespan. Even the hardiest of fish should not be in with a cycle.

I've also had really good experience with my koralia's.

Back
Top Bottom