Starting my Cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Of course most of you no that i've been working on a 55 gallon Tank and now i'm getting ready for the Cycle Process this weekend I will be heading out to my LFS and pick up 3lbs of Cured Rock and 3lbs or Base Rock there Cured Rock has been curing for more than 6 months at least thats what the LFS owner has told me... But in any case is it ok to start the cycling process with that much LR and BR?

:uzi::n00b:

3 not 30lb can't afford that much yet..... So i'll probably start off with 6-8lbs

ok if you use 6lbs to cycle your tank i think it will take longer to cycle ans also if you dont not fully cure the rock you put in after it cause to larger of an ammonia spike once you put it in the tank, which i think would then require further cycle to build up the bacteria that feeds on the ammonia, i would say try to wat and atleast get 30lbs of rock in there to cycle with, that is just what i would think hopefully someone with a bit more experience can jump in and give yo a hand though

How much is the base rock?
Have you thought about buying it online?

6 pounds of rock will NOT make for an effective biological filter in a 55 gallon tank. You need about 85-100 pounds total for an effective filter. Six - eight pounds is just decoration.

Do you have a cannister filter?
A sump?
What other filtration do you have?

I believe the BR is about $2.14 a LB the Fully Cured Rock is $7.99 a LB.. I have a Canister and a Skimmer.....

sometimes if you buy it in bulk the will give you a deal. i hate living in Canada when it comes to stuff like that it costs $14.99 per pound of LR up here

If you are using that little of rock, I would go the raw unseasoned shrimp route and leave the foam in the canister. Between the foam, sand a rock, you should have enough bio-filtration to get started, just don't add fish yet.

See i'm hearing a bunch of different ways to cycle I heard I could start off with just a little bit of LR and BR to get started but it wasn't never clear on how much to start with, I heard with just a Little bit of Rock that you can do a Fishless cycle which I am plan on doing with Raw Shrimp I think I might need 2... 55 gallons... I was also told that once the cycle is done I could add more LR and BR later without going thru the cycle process again.... After all is done I should about 82.4 to 110 LBs of rock in my Tank Which would be good if I get it all at once but just to expensive right now.... Thats why I wanted to try to start off in samll amount s to cycle then add more little by little later maybe twice a month.... I mean there be time where I got more and there will be time were I get less... But most of my rock would be already Cured...

Ok, you can do that. Adding cured LR shouldn't be a problem. If you want to add more base rock later, set up a tub with a heater and SW and ph, let the base rock sit in it a few days and check for ammonia. If no ammonia shows up, you can add it to your tank. If you see ammonia, you will have to cure it (unless you are still cycling your tank).

Alright sounds good.... I didn't know if anyone was understanding what i was saying....

So i don't need a Massive amount of LR and BR to get the cycle started 6-8 pounds should be enought? (For Now).... I mean I might even get a Little more maybe 15lbs

I think you are missing the point.
In order to get a cycle going, you need an ammonia source (the shrimp/die off from shipped LR/BR). The small amount of rock (LR) does not have enough beneficial bacteria on/in it to shorten the cycle, that's why you will be using the two shrimp.
Cured LR or just plain BR will not start a cycle. They simply house the beneficial bacteria.
Does that make any more sense?

Substrate? Sand,CC? I always prefer Sand, Live Sand is good, we sell it at our Fish Store. Of course people dont understand that alot of the stuff that is supposed to be "living" has more than likely died off. But If your starting of with only 6lbs It will take longer. Listen to Roka, from what iv read he is the one making the most sense. I would cure it once you obtain it at your house. I would save the money you would spend on base rock for right now, and put that towards another pound or two of LR. LR is your biggest priority right now, as for BB goes. dropping a raw shrimp like you said is always a good idea, plus cheaper :)!!

ALOHA

I know what you mean 6-8 pounds of rock is not enough.... Thats why I need the shrimp to get an ammonia spike...... If that's not it then 30lbs of rock is what I need to keep the beneficial bacteria.... All i want to know is how much rock would I need to start my cycling process???? Maybe i'm just confused sorry i'm still new.... :-(

Alright, I think the general sense is, you have enough to cycle, but but enough to maintain much of a bioload. I would suggest adding more base to help establish more beneficial bacteria living area, once the cycle is complete, add a small clean up crew and feed the tank sparringly, just enough to help feed both the clean up crew and the beneficial bacteria. Once you add more base or LR, you can add a fish and then add slowly on both fish and rock.

Yeah I was just trying to make sense of it myself... I know the general idea... I will get enough to get it started... Thanks a lot guys sorry if I was being a Headache today.... ;-)

Nope, no head aches here. I had pretty much the same questions when I started. I sometimes felt overwhelmed but lucky for me, the folks here were very helpful and patient.
It won't be long before you are on the other side and helping the newer folks......

Back
Top Bottom