Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
The recommended amount of LR is ~1- 1 1/2#"s per tank gallons. So in your case it would be 55-82 1/2#'s of rock.
I would not buy live sand and I would only by 20#'s of live rock with the rest being Base rock or DIY rock.
Thanks for your advice! Is there a particular reason why i shouldn't use live sand? i wanted to use it mainly for the look and i thought it could help with natural filtration but i could be totally wrong hah.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Try putting the sand in and putting a trash bag blown up in the aquarium. Then pour the water on top of the bag so it will minimize the sand storm. Also you can fill it up with SW and send the rinsed sand down a pvc pipe to where you want it. Both ways will have still a small dust storm but nowhere near what it could be.
Thanks for your help! I didn't think of the PVC pipe method, def going to try that out to minimize the sand storm

Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Call me the wimp, but I'd drive the 2 hours - and yes, 2 hours back to handpick my rocks if I was starting up. Then again, I've never done mail order rocks. It's just that I'd prefer to see the rocks and play with them at the store to see how they fit together. Also, I'd be afraid that in order to get, say 60 lbs, that I'd get 20 - 30 pieces sight unseen thru the mail. For 60 lbs, I'd look for maybe 10 pieces of rock - porous stuff. Just because it's big doesn't mean it has to weigh a ton. Surface area and nooks and crannies are the key to quality rock IMO.

Like a big ole, 15 lb rock with a 2" hole in the middle of it. Now that makes good SW LR to me.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO livesand that has been sitting on the shelf or a warehouse for a while can't be very live at all. You are paying alot of money for a product of questional ingredients. Dry aragonite sand with LR will become live very fast.
If you still want to go with LS then just do a small bag. Like the LR, split it.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Call me the wimp, but I'd drive the 2 hours - and yes, 2 hours back to handpick my rocks if I was starting up. Then again, I've never done mail order rocks. It's just that I'd prefer to see the rocks and play with them at the store to see how they fit together. Also, I'd be afraid that in order to get, say 60 lbs, that I'd get 20 - 30 pieces sight unseen thru the mail. For 60 lbs, I'd look for maybe 10 pieces of rock - porous stuff. Just because it's big doesn't mean it has to weigh a ton. Surface area and nooks and crannies are the key to quality rock IMO.

Like a big ole, 15 lb rock with a 2" hole in the middle of it. Now that makes good SW LR to me.
Good point! After i spent a couple hours shopping around different online distributors, the shipping cost alone is making the 2 hour drive more sense able.. 40-50 dollars to ship rock haha, call me crazy, but i have a problem spending that much on rock.. I do like to pick out my own products too so i think i will take the 2 hour drive sometime soon to get my tank fully started.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
IMO livesand that has been sitting on the shelf or a warehouse for a while can't be very live at all. You are paying alot of money for a product of questional ingredients. Dry aragonite sand with LR will become live very fast.
If you still want to go with LS then just do a small bag. Like the LR, split it.
Very true! yeh i only bought 40lbs of live sand so i will just go for the rest dry aragonite and im sure it will be fine with my live rock in there as well.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

i ditto that...i'll pay the price so i can get the peices i want to make sure i can make the structures i dream about and not what they want me to have to"work" with..i have about 60lbs now..i
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhemp34 View Post
i ditto that...i'll pay the price so i can get the peices i want to make sure i can make the structures i dream about and not what they want me to have to"work" with..i have about 60lbs now..i
Awesome man! I should be short behind you after tonight.. setup everything in my tank.. had to build my stand last night, setup my fluval 305 canister and hang on back filter got my heater setup... now i just gotta get home mix my water.. turn my filters on and go purchase live rock by this weekend to start cycling my tank.

Just to double check i believe thats the correct order i should go... make my saltwater < fill my tank with that water< turn on my filters< than add my live rock to cycle< than add my live and dry sand mix once cycling is complete?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaracing9 View Post
Just to double check i believe thats the correct order i should go... make my saltwater < fill my tank with that water< turn on my filters< than add my live rock to cycle< than add my live and dry sand mix once cycling is complete?
Good except for the sand. add it before during and after your live rock. put a very thin layer to "cushion" the bottom glass and add it as you build your rock. that way you can get it where you want it. you want the tank in the tank during the cycling process so it can become live.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
Good except for the sand. add it before during and after your live rock. put a very thin layer to "cushion" the bottom glass and add it as you build your rock. that way you can get it where you want it. you want the tank in the tank during the cycling process so it can become live.
yeh thats what i thought.. the reason i asked is because i read on in article on cycling that sand can hide harmful pests found in your live rock.. so they recommended you dont put the sand in til the rock cycles. But i do agree with the concept of the sand as a cushioning.. thanks for your advice!

Tags
55 gallon, fowlr, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com