Starting my first 55G FOWLR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

borlaracing9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys,
I am a new member to your forums and figure after browsing through all your very helpful posts on starting a SW tank, i decided to give it a shot after several successful FW tanks upto 55G.
I took the time to read over several posts and helpful books on marine aquariums to attempt to get some sort of hold on this very confusing transformation.
Now for the good part, I just wanted to name what i am planning on adding to my 55G tank to get the show on the road: :D

Filtration: 1 Aqua-Tech 30-60G Filter With Bio-Fiber Biological Filter 160gph (from previous FW tank setup)
1 Rena FilStar External Canister Filter (360gph)
Most likely a protien skimmer a little ways down the road.

Heating:
1 200 watt UI aquarium heater.

Lighting: Basic flourescent lighting (2 bulbs across hood) I know i need to change that if i plan on going the reef tank route, but i am gonna take it slow before i move in that direction.

Than obviously the thermomator, hydrometer, live rock, live sand, water testing kit, salt additives and de-chorinators for the water. (feel free to correct me if i am missing anything!)

My main question is what to do first?!:-? I know you need to mix the saltwater seperate, but i dont know if you add the saltwater first or the sand and live rock first, than i know you need to begin cycling the water, and i know you add a fresh dead shrimp for every 30 gallons (I believe.)
I would greatly appriciate if you guys gave me some good concise pointers, to help me get started and organize this mass new amount of information, i took in over the last couple months.
Thanks a lot guys i look forward to your very helpful advice!

live sand is best to be added first then the rock.

the cycle takes about 1-5 weeks so that gives you time on which type of fish or such you want :)

live sand is best to be added first then the rock.

the cycle takes about 1-5 weeks so that gives you time on which type of fish or such you want :)

Thank you for your assistance.. I know that the live rock and sand do help with cycling so that makes sense to add that stuff first :cool:

Skip the "live" sand, go with dry.
Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.
Save money and go with 75% base rock (dry, usually is bleached) to 25% LR.
I prefer to add the rock then the sand so the rock is firmly seated on the tank's bottom.
Skip the "additives" your salt mix should have everything you need.
RO/DI water is your friend or just buy the RO/DI unit for around $100-150...get the 75GPD unit.
I like 2 heaters for both redundancy and to even out the heat and they won't both be running all the time.
Powerheads are definitely needed. I like Hydor Korelias.
Yep, 1 unseasoned, raw jumbo shrimp per 30 gallons.
That's all I have for now and welcome to the "saltie" side!!

best to take the media out of your HOB filter and put some LR pieces in there. I run LR in one of mine and Phosban in the other.

hey congrats on your build...sorry i named my thread so close to yours..but i guess we're going through the same process...check out my thread as well..GOOD Luck

hey congrats on your build...sorry i named my thread so close to yours..but i guess we're going through the same process...check out my thread as well..GOOD Luck

haha nice to know i have someone going through the same crazy transformation from freshwater to saltwater like i am..

UPDATE: Just made another couple purchases at my LFS and bought a fluval 305 cannister for filtration along with my hang on the back filter. I do have 1 question as far as amounts of sand needed... I believe its 2-3 inches across the bottom :-?. I have 50 lbs of live sand, 15lbs of crushed argonite from the carribean. I would assume i would need more of each but wanted a reccomendation before a second trip to the LFS. Also, once i have my base of sand and argonite do i start the cycle before or after i purchase my live rock?(and how much live rock is reccomended for a 55g?)

All help will be greatly appriciated! :)

Is crushed aragonite anything like crushed coral? As opposed to finer grained sand. If so, I hope it's not too late to trade it in.

I agree with austinday, how coarse is that crushed aragonite?
If you are going to use LR there is no new for additonal filters and for sure not 2 more.

Is crushed aragonite anything like crushed coral? As opposed to finer grained sand. If so, I hope it's not too late to trade it in.

Its a crushed carribean puka shell haha. It says on the bag its "the ideal substrate for marine, reef, or African Cichlids."
I havent opened it yet so i guess i'll take it back to my LFS and pick up some more live sand instead.
Also, how much live rock is reccomended to start with a 55g tank, and do you guys know of any good online shops to order this from, because the closest distributor of live rock is about 2+ hours from my house.
Thanks guys!

Just a 2nd quick question.. Do you mix the saltwater in a seperate clean container such as an empty 55 gallon brand new trashcan thats been washed and rinsed or do you just mix it in the tank.. again apologize for the noob questions, i am just trying to be as cautious as possible and double checking everything from what i have read so far hah.

You can't mix in the aquarium when you have livestock in it so it is best to get into the habit of mixing in a different container now. I never advise mixing in the tank

Another noob question guys.. Do you add the sand before your aquarium ready water, live and dry rock? I have read that the live rock can have sand borrowing things inside of it which could possibly damage your tank?

Try putting the sand in and putting a trash bag blown up in the aquarium. Then pour the water on top of the bag so it will minimize the sand storm. Also you can fill it up with SW and send the rinsed sand down a pvc pipe to where you want it. Both ways will have still a small dust storm but nowhere near what it could be.

Its a crushed carribean puka shell haha. It says on the bag its "the ideal substrate for marine, reef, or African Cichlids."
I havent opened it yet so i guess i'll take it back to my LFS and pick up some more live sand instead.
Also, how much live rock is reccomended to start with a 55g tank, and do you guys know of any good online shops to order this from, because the closest distributor of live rock is about 2+ hours from my house.
Thanks guys!
The recommended amount of LR is ~1- 1 1/2#"s per tank gallons. So in your case it would be 55-82 1/2#'s of rock.
I would not buy live sand and I would only by 20#'s of live rock with the rest being Base rock or DIY rock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom