Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Starting my first Saltwater Aquarium

Hi I recently started my Saltwater reef aquarium and I just have a couple questions I'm hoping I can get some help...
1) I have been testing my PH level about every 2 days & for some reason it keeps going lower , I have been putting the Marine Buffer Ph stuff but it doesn't seem to work for long Any reason why & how I can fix this.?
2) Just recently the front of my glass on the tank has started to become cloudy , now it's not the water because its only the front on my tank Any Idea on what's causing this?
All I have right now in my tank is live sand & 12Lbs of live rock I haven't bought any fish yet I'm afraid to buy them & they die on me. Any advice you can give would be great help Thank You !

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soto413 View Post
Hi I recently started my Saltwater reef aquarium and I just have a couple questions I'm hoping I can get some help...
1) I have been testing my PH level about every 2 days & for some reason it keeps going lower , I have been putting the Marine Buffer Ph stuff but it doesn't seem to work for long Any reason why & how I can fix this.?
2) Just recently the front of my glass on the tank has started to become cloudy , now it's not the water because its only the front on my tank Any Idea on what's causing this?
All I have right now in my tank is live sand & 12Lbs of live rock I haven't bought any fish yet I'm afraid to buy them & they die on me. Any advice you can give would be great help Thank You !
Hi!

How big is the tank? Could be just diatoms from your cycle. The pH issue... Do you have power heads and good flow? Is the surface getting good agitation?

Also is there a lid on the tank. Most do not use a lid.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tank is a 55 gallon , and we currently don't have a lid on it also I don't have any power heads didn't know much about them , so I'm thinking I should get some ?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My tank is a 55 gallon , and we currently don't have a lid on it also I don't have any power heads didn't know much about them , so I'm thinking I should get some ?
Yes your gonna want 2 power heads, that will help tremendously with your pH issue. You have no flow. I believe that is the issue.

Koralia power heads are great and if the budget allows Vortechs MP10 or MP40's will do the trick!!

I love my MP10 on my bio cube 29.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you I will definitely go buy 2 of them tomorrow ! really appreciate it
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thank you I will definitely go buy 2 of them tomorrow ! really appreciate it
No problem. Do you know what your going to purchase? Koralia 725 will be good. 2 of them. You could even get the hydor smart wave.

http://youtu.be/OmpZt65gjW8

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Kor...FIPHFF-vi.html

http://www.petmountain.com/brands/20...FUOK4Aod5isA9g

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps/...00_20424437560

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I honestly had noo idea what I was buying thanks I'm definitely going to buy that one ... Is there anything else that I should buy or need to buy before I buy fish?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I honestly had noo idea what I was buying thanks I'm definitely going to buy that one ... Is there anything else that I should buy or need to buy before I buy fish?
Your power heads, filter, heater and get a test kit if don't already have one.

What lights are you using? Is it going to be a fish only tank or are you planning on corals down the road?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have the filter & a test kit , I will buy a Heater tomorrow along with the power heads . I haven't bought any lighting yet because I am not sure yet if which is best &'i actually plan on buying some coral before fish ... If I can
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have the filter & a test kit , I will buy a Heater tomorrow along with the power heads . I haven't bought any lighting yet because I am not sure yet if which is best &'i actually plan on buying some coral before fish ... If I can
You'll want at least a 4 bulb t5 fixture.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLi...FIT54U-vi.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001V95TGY

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=18700

Another good place to look.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...n.cgi?lighting

Tags
aquarium, salt, saltwater, saltwater aquarium, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com