Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Meiko
Starting my first Saltwater tank!

I need help starting up a shopping list for a good Salt water tank. All I know is I'm eyeing a 55 Gal bow front, and I want a school of Green Chromis Damsels (I think that's what you call them?). I don't know the first thing about salt water tanks so please help point me in the right direction and not get ahead of myself! ^____^;

Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can start by reading the articles on this site. There is also a suggested reading list at the top of this forum. I've recently read the Conscientious Marine Aquarist which is excellent.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, are you after a fish only tank, fish with live rock, or full reef?

If full reef, I'd go with a standard 55 over a bow front. bow fronts are tall, which means you need more light to reach the bottom of the tank for coral growth, and that can be a pain.

The first thing on your list should be a good book:The Conscientous Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner. Probably the best start up book you can find.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Meiko
book..book..yes.. I just posted before even looking at the forum lol is just.. I-I.. saw the damsels at the fish store and.. I WANT THEM *cries* IwantIwantIwant.. I can't control myself, so I'm scared i'll end up blowing 1k on a total catastrophe of fish-doomness. x.x;;;

Anyways..yes.. read! good idea! *runs to get a book*

(Sorry I feel like i'm just spamming now.. I'm just too excited! ^^;; )
Old 09-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
note that if you do go with damsels, you are potentially limiting yourself for future fish possibilities. Damsels are a bit aggressive and many SW fish Dont like being messed with.

also, ( and I have said this time and time again so for those who heard it already, I apoligise.) You need to be prepared to spend some money. alot of money. I have spent over 1000 dollars already and I have yet to put a single fish in my tank. Rocks, Lighting, filtration, sand, etc... this is all expensive and there is really no good short cuts you can take when It comes to the well being of your fish.

And You should also, consider that stocking a SW tank is much differnt than FW tanks. "technically" You can only put about 11 inches of fish in a SW tank and Many SW fish are 5 inches easily.

There were the two biggest issues that were a complete suprise to me after I started putting a system together for myself.

Do your research, read some books, check out all the awsome photos on this site and ask some questions! This is the greatest hobbie in the world! Have fun!

-Matt
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are green chromis's damsels? I didn't know that. And by the way deep tanks suck for many reasons. If you have lr or corals or really just all the time, the tank is so deep you can hardly reach the bottom of the tank to clean rearrange etc. I have to stand on a stool that is on a kitchen chair, just to vacuum crap on the substrate. Needless to say I wish I had known that before buying the deep tank. And mine is only 24" deep. Plus stand. Plus canopy. You see where I'm going.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

the more time you spend preparing, researching, and shopping for the right equipment at the most reasonable prices, the happier you'll be in the long run. and by happier I mean the tank will be healthier, and you won't be frustrated, and can enjoy the mini-ocean you've worked so hard to build.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chromis are technically Damsels but are generally peaceful. They are totally reef safe and they go well with alot of other fish, except aggressive ones.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
sorry, I only saw the Damsel part. I didnt catch the Chromis part :P
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 3 Chromis and they school.
They are tank mates to a Shrimp Goby, Banggai Cardinalfish, and Purple Firefish.

They are very active fish. keeps the tank looking busy. Sometimes they look blue-ish sometimes they are green-ish.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com